2004 GTI dies after an hour ............

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

icyclefar

I have a 2004 GTI (two actually)
It starts and runs flawlessly for about an hour and will then die without any type of warning. After that, there is no recognition of the key, no good beeps, no bad beeps ......... nothing. After several hours the machine will once again recognize the key, and start and run fine, for another hour or so.

Here is what I have tried so far:

Replaced key post on machine - no change

Tried several keys - no change

Inspected all wiring, and plug connections - everything looks like new

Swapped computers between my two machines - problem still exists

Has anyone run across this before ............. any suggestions?

Thanks - Jonathan

Possible ignition switch problem? Swap that and see what happens. Also swap batteries and make sure those check out.

Possible ignition switch problem? Swap that and see what happens. Also swap batteries and make sure those check out.

Are you referring to the main relay unit located in the rear box with the ignition coil?

Battery tests perfect ..........

All the trouble shooting manuals point towards the DESS, but if you tried many different keys and key posts with the same problem, there has to be a short somewhere. Grab a manual and multimeter and check the electrical system...that is my best suggestion for now.

I decided (with the advice of expert counsel- thanks Taylor) to replace the main relay unit. In the process of replacement I found internal corrosion in the through box connector that ties the switch in. While I'm pretty sure that I have found my answer, I have yet to sea trial it, so I will have to let you know for sure once I have had a chance to run it for multiple hours.

For whatever it's worth, this corrosion could not have been seen until the relay pins were gutted from the connector.

I'll keep you posted!

Sounds like you got some good advice...good luck and definately let us know :)

As best as I can tell, the problem is solved. Had the ski out and running for about 3 hours over the weekend without incident. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back