2004 4-Tec SeaDoo Speedster choking out

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrl38

Hey all- I have had my Speedster for about 6 months now, bought it from a friend after he let it sit in his yard for 5 years untouched. Only had 13 hours on it when I got it- had to replace starboard fuel pump when I got it, and about a month ago my port side seems to be having some similar problems. I get going fine, but after about 10-15 minutes, the port engine seems to be choking and then shuts off, giving me two beeps to start up again. I wait about 5 minutes, start her up again and shes fine, sometimes for 1 minute, sometimes for another 30. I dont know what the issue could be, it seems like fuel just isnt getting into the engine and then when I wait a minute, the fuel is pumped in and we are good to go.

Anyone have any ideas????

my 180 died on me a couple of weeks ago and after trouble shooting, i found that my fuel pump had broke. I looked at the parts manual for your boat and it looks like the same design as mine. the pump comes as two pieces that are connected. the pump should be black and it snaps on to a aluminum cylinder that has a small filter and the fuel level sending unit on it. it all bolts on to your tank and mine was held on by 9 small nuts. super easy to pull off.

what happened was, the fuel pump has a short plastic piece that extends from the bottom of the pump and inserts into an aluminum pick up line within the cylinder. well, the black plastic piece had cracked and was sucking nothing but air and in turn not supplying fuel to my engine. it could be that you have developed the same issue but your's is not to the point that fuel isn't being sucked up. also you may just have a bad seal between the two pieces causing air to get in and choke out your engine or make it die.

this is an easy check and an easy fix so cross your fingers and check it out. the one down side if it's the problem is that my pump was $460. good luck and let us know.

Attachments

• fuel pump.jpg
    fuel pump.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back