2003 Islandia Cooling issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here goes. First post by the way guys so....Hi.

I recently bought a 2003 Islandia in not running condition cheap!Main issue was no spark. A local merc guy fixed that for me by cleaning up some connections etc.
So. Spark is back, I drained the gas, added some fresh gas, temporarily eliminated the oil injection (by way of kinking the oil hoses and zip tying (temporary) and and premixed at 50:1.
First 3 mins of test drive....BEEEEEEEEEP
Overheating. Back on the trailer and to the shop to do what I should have already done, but neglected to do. I started with the "pisser" as we in the PWC world refer to it, maybe some call it a bypass. Either way, the line coming out of the hull on the port side below the rub rail. It was mucho clogged. As was EVERYTHING else. Imagine that. After unclogging that, I went at the rest of the lines. The fitting on the bottom of the motor where the flush hose goes in was the first target. I went to blow compressed air into it....nothing.....at all. I tried poking it out with some TIG welding rod, and didnt get very far. FInally I got creative and hooked a hose to it, filled the hose with muratic acid, and then forced it in with air pressure. That sure loosened everything up. I then flushed with water.
Next I went at the fitting about 1 inch directly above the first one. Same issue. Same solution.
So, at this point when hooked up to the flush, water is now coming freely out of the jet unit. But nothing is running through the motor or coming out of the "pisser" It started to overheat on the hose after about 4 min.
Now im curious. I have to assume that the idea is that on the flush, half the water goes thru the jet pump, and half (or at least some) water runs through the motor, and eventually comes out of the pisser. So I figure that the two fittings at the bottom starboard side of the motor that I first free'd up must be connected! So therefore there must be some type of blockage between the jet pump water pickup, and the powerhead. I block off the hose going to the bypass. I take the hose going to the top fitting (which normally goes from the bottom of the motor, up to a T, and cooles the exhause and goes into the waterboxes. I start pumping water into the fitting to see if it will come out of the jet pump. Nothing. So then I force the water with the air hose, and it comes out of the jet drive. But it isnt coming out of the same spot that the water comes out when hooked up to the flush. Its coming out around the sides of the square metal plate where the jet drive meets the hull.

Sorry the post was so long.
Please help
Nick

I've had the same problem with the overheat alarm running my boat on the hose. Not enough volume of water. I doubt you'll ever see any water from the "pisser" unless you have some serious water pressure or until you have the boat in the water. Gravity is working against you.

Yep... what he said. Unless you have a big hose... and good pressure... you will have a hard time getting out the pee hole. Go put it in the water, and start it.

Just dropped it in the water. Overheat again. The jet is pushing water, I could see it dribbling a bit from the flusfitting, but its still not making it into the motor. What's my next step here?

After looking at the service manual for this thing...ive decided to order the necessary gaskets, and pull the power head off the jet drive and hasve a proper look inside. here goes nothing...

Good luck with that. It's not too hard.. but a standard engine hoist is a little short.

FYI: Once the struts are off... the hood is heavy as heck... but it will sit straight up.

In the service manual... there is a cooling diagram. You may want to look it over.

If you are getting water from the pump, when on the hose... then the line from the pump to the power-head is hooked up.

Now that I'm sitting here... there is a little cover on the starboard side of the engine. It's kind of round, and toward the bottom. I'm not sure if there is anything in there or not... but you may want to remove it, and make sure it's not plugged.

53.jpg

114.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back