2003 GTI Wont Restart after Running

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnjd

2003 GTI Wont Restart after Running in Water

I have 2 '03 Gti's. One of them runs great, but the other has been a problem since I bought them a little over a year ago. It's always had problems with hesitation, stalling, and no start conditions. Some of my attempts to fix these problems include fuel line replacement, carb rebuild including fuel filter replacement, replacement of the fuel selector valve, cleaning of the inline fuel filter and flame arrestor, new spark plugs (gapped to .020"), and trimmed spark plug wires. These changes have helped a little, mainly with stalling (although it will still stall when idleing for more than 30 seconds or so). Currently I'm having problems with it starting while in the water. The first start of the day it has no problems, but after it's been rode, once you shut it off it usually will not restart unless its been sitting for a couple of hours, but as soon as it's out of the water, it fires right up. As you can imagine, this is very frustrating. The other problem is hesitation when taking off from Idle. Very slow to rev up. Anybody have ideas as to what might be going on? I'm stumpt. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention that when it is in the water, it cranks as normal and sounds like it is about to start but never does. I've tried choking it and varying the throttle, but nothing seems to work other than letting it sit for a while.

Check compression, I bet its low in a cylinder.

With not even compression it wont be able to run right with load.

Compression

How much difference would be acceptable between cylinders? I need to replace the starter before I can check compression again, but when I checked it last year I believe it was maybe a difference of only 10 - 15 psi. Would that be enough to cause these kinds of problems? Thanks,
Shawnjd

Last edited by a moderator:
xp wont start under load

same problem, i just bought sea doo 93 xp. I test drove it for 15 minutes, ran great, turned it off, started it, twice. no problems

i take it out the next week, it starts fine, i ride for about 15 minutes, and it wont start back up. i tow it and pull it out of the water, starts fine on land, not in the water.

i hate this thing. does anybody know what I should test for. seams like its not getting enough fuel at the plugs.

anybody else have this problem and have you fixed it?

thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back