2003 GTI LE RFI Overheats After Several Minutes

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB359

My jetski was trailered on my driveway for the past two seasons. When I summerized it, it started right up with the hose connected and ran fine for a few minutes. When I took it to the lake, it powered off the trailer (normal thrust) but overheated after a few minutes. I flushed it again, and checked the intake, which was clear, but at the lake again it overheated. Seems to be a blockage in the line somewhere.

I would appreciate any ideas on troubleshooting this. I am thinking about disconnecting the intake hose that goes into the engine, but since it runs normally when hooked up to a hose, it seems that line is clear. Also, water flows from the bleed line when hooked up to hose, but I didn't notice whether it did when in the water.

Thanks for any help!

Rich

pull the water inlet line to the engine off the head...put it in the water and you will see there is no water coming in from the pump...it takes very little to plug up the pump inlet holes....clean the incoming lines....do not force water through the lines with the engine stopped.....it will end up in the engine cylinders.....best to leave this to the pros...

Hold on. Don't be so quick to discourage. While we do not advise blindly doing the unknown, this could be an easy fix for a do-it-yourself with good guidance. Why not share the expertise you claim to have? Then let the user decide if he wants to try it himself and save money. That is, after all what this forum is for. Not a plug for professional services.

My 2004 GTI had the same symptoms your describing. After driving it for a couple minutes in the water the pipe was really hot to the touch almost melting the rubber connection to the back of the pipe. Bleeder outlet in the front left was squirting water. I put it on the trailer but in the water started it then first took off the water inlet then outlet hose on the back of the ski to see if I had water flow. Everything checked out. I then checked the front outlet hose and that was squirting water. I was about to give up I ended up following the small 1/4inch hoses that run from the top of the exhaust pipe to the back then on mine after the front outlet on the front top left of the head there are two small 1/4 hose connections. I followed each one. Turned out one was all twisted up and was causing a water blockage. I untwisted the hose and everything went back to normal. Turned out to be a super easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back