2002 X20 engine problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sbartolo

I've had a problem with engine shutting off and not restarting. Ive had it fixed a couple times which ended up $2500 in the hole. They replaced the trigger assembly and the controller-ign.also a $460 electrical repair. Had it fixed before winterizing it. Went to start it for the first time and yes it now starts but chokes when I accelerate.
In the first pic, do these 2 wires need to be connected?
Second pic, 2 wires going no where
Third pic, this cable bracket comes from the steering wheel assembly. What does it do and where does it go?

I have a video but won't upload .mov files.

Appreciate any help offered IMG_2786.jpgIMG_2787.jpgIMG_2788.jpgIMG_2786.jpgIMG_2787.jpgIMG_2788.jpg

Can you elaborate: "chokes when I accelerate"?

Pic 1: Wires from trigger base have been repaired at the plug. That is always a point of concern. Not sure about the disconnected wire. Merc did not leave extra wire anywhere. It seems that wire should be connected. BTW, the black wire/yellow stripe is your kill wire. If it gets shorted or crushed against the engine, you will have problems.

Pic 2: Those 2 wires are orphans. Not connected.

Pic 3: That is part of your "steering assist" system. It gives the throttle a bump when the steering wheel is turned to either stop. Mounts near throttle cam.

Have you ever checked the TPS? When it fails, if defaults to full rich, which could stall your engine.

Thanks for your help Tim. I'll connect those two wires and see if that helps. Hopefully it doesn't burn anything else.
What I mean about choking is when I place in gear and accelerate, it's bogs. Wish I can send the .mov file I have

Just in case someone else is wondering what the disconnected wires are:
They don't connect together. They are for a timing light.

Got fed up up this boat so I traded it in for a new seadoo jetski lol.
Seems that this boat was a salty from Florida and the wires are starting to corrode
Causing all kinds of problems.

Thanks for your help Tim. I'll connect those two wires and see if that helps. Hopefully it doesn't burn anything else.
What I mean about choking is when I place in gear and accelerate, it's bogs. Wish I can send the .mov file I have

What happens when you go wot?

I had similar problem; same engine. Engine ran fine to 2400 rpm Bogged, sounded like it would die. Kept pushing throttle, and when it got past 4000, I could continue to 6200 rpm. Same when backing off throttle.
Even though the trigger checked perfect, that was the problem. I know, you just replaced it. Just going by the symptoms.......... Mine was only 3 years old.

What happens when you go wot?

I had similar problem; same engine. Engine ran fine to 2400 rpm Bogged, sounded like it would die. Kept pushing throttle, and when it got past 4000, I could continue to 6200 rpm. Same when backing off throttle.
Even though the trigger checked perfect, that was the problem. I know, you just replaced it. Just going by the symptoms.......... Mine was only 3 years old.

Thanks Tim,
Took it back to the mechanic. He spent some time in the engine compartment and it started. He said it needed to burn away the fog from winterization.
I decided to trade it in for a 2019 supercharged jetski. It was a great boat and a rare one but was costing way too much. BOAT, Bring On Another Thousand lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back