New 97 Challenger Owner with Issues (the boat, not me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXstudios

Hi all,

This forum has been invaluable the last few weeks. I picked up a 97 challenger and have been having issues, some of which I resolved. Could really use some help. I‘ve done a lot of searching and reading but was hoping to get some specific guidance.

The first time I took it out, it kept stalling as I raised the throttle. I also noticed a lot of water in the engine bay. The bilge pump wasn’t working and then it occurred tome to shoot some water up it.. Well that fixed that.

I saw leaking on the drive shaft and got a carbon ring kit and replaced it. When replacing it if found cracks in the Venturi and the ride plate had major crack in it. Got a new Venturi and JB welded the plate which is solid now. I replaced spark plugs and tightened up some of the hoses. One of them to the water regulator was off. The regulator does appear to be leaking.

So after all that, it still chokes about 1/4 way up. If I push through it, it seems to take off. If it doesn’t stall. So after 20 minutes or so, I stopped the engine, and then it wouldn’t start. Had to be towed in. Meanwhile it runs fine with the hose.

The fuel filter appears to be an in-line one and not bolted to the wall where I think the original one was. And now the battery doesn’t seem to be holding a charge.

I made the mistake of not cleaning the carbs, but I am keeping it in rack storage at marina and can’t do that kind of work on it without trailering it home. So trying to avoid if possible.

Any guidance that you experienced owners can provide would be helpful. Afraid to take wife out in case we get stranded and I need to get towed.

I do have to say that when it runs, it flies. I am hearing what I think is possibly knocking at higher rpm, but not really sure.

Thanks!

Greg

Hi all,

I made the mistake of not cleaning the carbs, but I am keeping it in rack storage at marina and can’t do that kind of work on it without trailering it home. So trying to avoid if possible.

holy crap!

do you have any idea when they were last done? have you ever done a compression check on the engines?

I take it from the "Holy crap" that this was a major mistake... o_O

I don't know when last done, and have not done a compression test.

you can very easily burn your engines up from running your boat with dirty carbs.

i do a compression check on my engines every year before i start using it. i drop a teaspoon of oil down the cylinders first if it hasn't been run over the winter. i've gotten to the point where i rebuild my carbs every 2 or 3 years. the oil injection and accelerator pump lines get replaced at this point. every year, i take them all apart and clean any corrosion or fuel residue out of them. i always put fuel stabilizer of some sort in the tank every time i fill up. in spite of these measures, they still have plenty of crap in them every time they are opened up.

i also use Mystic full synthetic 2 stroke oil exclusively. i would like to think my original engines will last a good deal longer because of the extra care i take with maintenance.

Last edited:
Thanks for your perspective.

I ordered a compression tester and plan to do that first thing when I get to the boat on Thursday. I also ordered an inline fuel filter since the one in there needs to be replaced, and the original Fuel/Water separator appears to not be there.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back