2002 Utopia Merc 240 EFI Limp Mode

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmetro

I was out on the lake this morning and was only on the throttle for approximately 5 minutes. I had my 2002 Utopia 240 EFI almost WOT. I eventually went WOT but that only lasted for approximately 3 seconds. My RPM's dropped right down to approx 1000 rpm. The engine never stalled, but I could not go above 5 mph.

The dash check engine light did not light nor did any horn sound. I understand if the TPS fails the ECM send a signal indicating such. Compression in all cylinders to spec. New plugs this year.

Out of curiosity, if there's water in the separating fuel filter will this create a limp mode scenario?

I haven't checked the voltage on the battery. If the voltage is low, will it create the same limp mode scenario?

I checked behind the helm. I believe the throttle guardian was removed by the previous owner.

I've gone through the shop manual. For such symptoms the ignition troubleshooting fault chart lists TPS failed or battery voltage below 9.5 volts (page 2A-23)

I limped back to he slip, moored her and am now waiting to figure out what the problem is.

Before we can answer any questions... we need to know what engine you have.

Is the cover on the top of the engine round, and only covering the flywheel... or is it more rectangle shaped, and covering all of the top?

Sorry, forgot about that. It's not the round one. It's more rectangular...the newer style. I think off the top of my head the 2001 and a half year?

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured it out. The throttle control rod popped out of the bushing swivel. This wouldn't allow the throttle control lever to rotate. I attached a photo showing the throttle control rod in its proper position.

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back