2002 Utopia 205 Ride-Plate / Trim Tabs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhryder

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hey,
Have seen discussions mentioning ride-plate and trim-tabs. Apparently the are something i might want to add. Was hoping someone might answer why i would add them. Also would like to know any brand/part# for either specific to my boat year/model.

Am going to throw impellers in here also. Have gotten the impression there is a SOLAs impeller for this model also that might be desirable to change to. Does anyone know if the difference is minor or significant. Would also like to know if this is within the realm of DIY? Am pretty mechanically inclined with many years experience, but know some things can be beyond scope of DIY.

Before i do either of the above am pretty well convinced HYDRO-TURF mats are first upgrade based on how they look and the valuable comments i have seen here on them.

thanks

Thanks for any feedback/info.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
HydroTurf: This should be your first mod. It ads safety to the boat. It also looks good, and cuts glare from all the white surfaces.

Solas Impeller: Well... I've been looking at the Merc boats for a very long time... and I'm not convinced that it does anything for the bigger boats. The issue is... they pimp it for the 175hp to the 250hp engines. They also say that in the 250, you may hit the rev limiter sooner. SO... it may help getting out of the hole... but it seems to cut top speed. So... unfortunately... I do not recommend it anymore.

If you want an upgrade... get the Mercury High Skew impeller. The river guys swear by them.

Trim plates: They are a double edged sward. If you get the adjustable ones... they work well... but are expensive. If you get the extended plate sold by one of the members here... it seems to work ok. (and is cheap) It seems like a few of the hulls have issues with bouncing... and if you have one... then a tab will help. Boats like the Islandia don't benefit too much from them.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. What about ride-plates ? I notice you say boats like the Islandia, mine is a Utopia, do they have the same hull is why you reference the Islandia?

Thanks for the reply. I talked to the Smart Tabs tech guy. He wasn't certain there was enough room to install them on my boat. Was hoping some one with a Utopia 205 2002-2005 might reply saying they had them installed.

Thanks for the info. What about ride-plates ? I notice you say boats like the Islandia, mine is a Utopia, do they have the same hull is why you reference the Islandia?

The Islandia doesn't bounce much at speed because of it's size. But people (in the past) have put on adjustable tabs, hoping to get it to plane faster... but all they do is cause drag. AND, reverse is dampened. (it's already bad on that boat) The real problem with the islandia, is that you can put 7 people in the back of the boat. AND... it happens a lot since people want to sit under the top. So... with all that weight in the back... it will sit nose high. When that happens in my boat... I just tell people to move to the front seats... and that will drop the nose... and I can cruise around at lower speeds, without needing to have the throttle up at 50%.

The smart tabs don't seem to do much since they just move. Also, fixed tabs don't work well, since they can't be adjusted for all situations.

If you spend the $$$ on the electric, or hydraulic tabs... they work !! (adjustable from the helm) But they are expensive.

I don't have a Utopia. I did install Smart Tabs on my boat. I can say this: Wow!

I had constant porpoising
I had high bow rise, very long to plane out
Power trim had no effect

With smart tabs:
Porpoising completely gone
Minimal bow rise-on take off
Planes out in 1/10 the distance of before tabs
Stays up on plane at much slower speed; pulling the tubes and knee boards are a simple joy now. Before it was a real chore as a driver. Fuel economy up by at least 50% !
Top speed changed, it is now faster! Probably because of no porpoising and level ride

The BEST money I have ever spent on a boat ... And I have spent lots, with 5 boats in the yard here.

If you can get them on, you will not look back with any regrets. Do get the one up heavier rated shock than the online tool says tho.

Don't have much experience with Smart Tabs, but I have installed the Aquaman1 Extended Ride plate on my Challenger, and it has transformed the boat in many of the same ways Faceman007 mentioned in the above post... It was only $100.

Look up Extended Ride Plate in this forum, it was started by Aquaman1. You can post there to get one.

I was out for a rip-up-the-algae ride this weekend on the spx. Went by a long line of boats hovering up just out of the water on boat lifts. Out of curiosity I drove along them and checked out what the variety of transoms and trims they had.

Of the 60+ boats; thumb estimate
- 1/3 of them had trim tabs of various sorts bolted on. Plates with actuators
- 1/3 were pontoon deck boats
- 1/3 were various fancy ski and fish boats

I did see a Utopia on one of the lifts. Dude, that sure is a very very different boat stern and hull shape! No straights or flat surfaces anywhere. It must be quite squirrelly and slippery to handle on the water. Therefore I newly appreciate the dilemma here as it is likely impossible to get a bolt on trim tab system for it. Although, I did find this as one link on a quick google search.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/tech-help/project-boats/sea-doo-utopia-205/

Having read all above and what I saw, I have an opinion which you may or may not like as to options;
1 - Keep searching, and work with tabs manufacturers to come up with a Utopia specific product.
2 - go with a ride plate only and call it a day. You "may" notice some minor benefits but will not realize the ride and handling transformation that trim tabs would do for you.
3 - put the boat up on a stand. get out the sander, shaper, the roll of glass cloth and the resin. Fabricate and reshape two spots on the transom to make mounting pads for trim plates and actuators. Put Smart Tabs on. Take lots if pictures along the way. Patent the modification. Sell it back to BRP for their 2017 model. Perhaps a special/custom formed and fabricated transom modification is needed if you want to open more aftermarket bolt up options
4 - own up to this as perhaps a buy mistake. It may be that although the Utopia is a very pretty boat with great creature comfort features and lots of power, perhaps the hull just has poor ride and performance overall or the conditions/style that you boat in. There are much better boats. Find a buyer or trader. Go buy a boat with much better hull that has proven out of the box quality ride and performance for your needs and style.

I would sell it and move on to something better. (imho)

gioakjoe - great info, thx.

FaceMan007 - Thanks for your observations relating to my question. As to the 4th one, Buy mistake, don't think this qualifies. Wasn't looking to buy a boat. My daughter came back from her Aunt's one weekend last september and asked me if i wanted to buy a boat. They bought it new, but the kids were grown and the boat was sitting idle. She said if anyone in the family wanted it, $1500.00. Figured the trailer was worth that, so got the cash in her hand before the week ended. Lol

What a great deal! In that case and gioakjoe's picture showing it can be done, highly recommend go for the Smart Tabs. You will be amazed of the difference something so simple makes to the ride.

The only thing that I have heard about these that is not positive, is that effects your reverse control?

Versus the extended ride plate which sits in the middle under the jet drive. Probably a fair bit more $$ as well.

But either solution will be a great improvement.

Does not affect reverse at all. In my experience. But then I also do not ever try to reverse at high speed. Reverse is a marina-docking-trailering maneuver only when I am at the helm. Do not notice they are there until I crack the throttle and enjoy the quick planing, smooth ride, and sharp level turning control. Depending on how your boat settles and rides, they "may" produce some extra spray near the back of the boat.

Of the 60+ boats; thumb estimate
- 1/3 of them had trim tabs of various sorts bolted on. Plates with actuators
- 1/3 were pontoon deck boats
- 1/3 were various fancy ski and fish boats

The funniest part about this observation are all the yahoos that have added fins, plates, tabs etc to boats that could go without them if they just learned to setup their boat/motor correctly, or learn to use the trim on their motor. We don't have that luxury on a fixed jet.

My buddy just bought a beautiful Bennington luxury pontoon. And the previous owner had a claimed top speed that was horribly slow. After a quick test drive, it was obvious he just had no clue that you had to trim a 150hp motor on a pontoon. Most of those folks just figure you press down till it won't go anymore. Ahh, the clueless.

hey guys if yall have questions about the smart tabs let me know I have had them on my boat for 3 years now.

1st it does in no way affect my reverse I go in and out of channels in my lake and park at many restaurant docks with plenty of boats to dodge and reverse is spot on. I also drive a 24ft inboard V drive ski boat and now that is a fun boat to reverse lol

2nd the smart tabs have 5 settings on each one depending how rough the water is. I always ride at the top setting as my lake is heavily bulk headed and super busy and choppy. If you jump in the water it is ez to change from 1-5.

3rd I actually use these as surf tabs as well behind my boat to disengage the side you surf on and put the opposite side on 5. Its no wake surf boat but it can be done with the 3 fat sacs I have.

I cant even tell you how awesome these things work was the best purchase for my boat and nothing in my boat is original:p I almost sold my boat before I got them as my lake is very choppy and this thing was acting like a dolphin at a seaworld show. If i had more money I would of gone with Lenco but these are fine for me.

I also fitted smart tabs this year and the transformation was dramatic.
Unfortunately though my hull (2004 hull) 20160319_174657[1].jpgseemed to be slightly different to Gioakjoe's. I got them on but had to do a small bit of refining to the tabs to make them work which meant shaving some of the plastic down where the actuator attaches so as to allow movement of them without fouling the tab.

So for the folks that have these "Smart Tabs"... How exactly do they work? Do they have a shock absorber that pushes them deeper when the boat is moving slow, and then allows the tabs to come up parallel to the bottom when the boat is moving fast?

Hi, Yes just that. The damper exerts a force downwards which when transfered through the transom "pushes" the front of the boat down. As speed increases the water flow pressure forces them up and bouncing is dampened.
They have 5 positions on the tabs to set the actuators, the further away from the hinge point the more moments of force they can exert on the tabs so dependant on load or sea conditions you can make adjustments. Mine are set midway and this seems more than enough to smooth out the ride. We very rarely slap over waves like we did before and full speed is achieved more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back