2002 Seadoo Challenger - Electrical

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

newtoboating

Hello,

Question about electrical. Initially,my battery was not charging. So I had the regulator and stator replaced. Just before they died, the instruments went out.

I got the boat back and now it runs but no instruments work. Actually yesterday the tach and speedo were jumping all over the place. Today the boat stalled in idle.

The courtesy switches also are attacking up. Like if I turn on the blower, the fuel gauage goes all the way up. Initially, I would turn te blower on and the speedo turned off.

Could this be a bad gound? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you,

It could be a bad ground. Has the boat been out in the weather or on salt water? There could be moisture in areas that it shouldn't be in. Check all ground terminals for good contact, especially up in the dash area.

The boat was not in salt water. Haven't checked for moisture anywhere. I will do that. Also the beep went away on the boat.

Could all this be the MPEM? I woudl have though if the MPEM was fried it would be fried and it wouldn't go slowly.

I believe the MPEM's main job is creation and control of spark and timing for the motor. It does this with input from sensors and also gives out readings to instruments, all which must have a good ground to function properly.

The beep could mean several things depending on the number of beeps and how often they occur. Anything from low oil to water in the fuel to overheating.

Are you sure the replaced parts were the correct parts for your motor?

By the beep went away do you mean when you turn the key to the on position?

Yes. When I used to turn the key to the on position, there was a beep. Now there is nothing. And just to elaborate about some of the problems I noticed.

a) Key in off position, switch lights would work.
b) Key in on position, back lights on switch do not work.
c) no speedometer or tach.
d) Turn on blower fuel guage goes all the way up.
e) All items controlled by the switches work, such as nav lights and everything.

I had a seadoo dealer replace the stator and rectifier, so I would hope they are the right parts. Don't know though. I can ask them on that.
The boat starts fine. Now though it just seems like the problem is getting worse and worse.

I think I will try to run a new ground wire from the instruments. See if that will help.

Any thoughts on where I could start to check?

Yes, get a mercury m2 service manual. It has all the schematics and describes the motor and pump in great detail. However, getting up under the dash and look to see if the back of the instruments are corroded or moisture in the area. If you have an ohm meter try ohming from battery ground to any ground point you can find in the instrument area. There should be 0 ohms. Anything above a few ohms and there is your problem. If you have a battery shut off switch, shut it off and disconnect all your harnesses and connectors one by one and reconnect each before you do the next one.

The one common denominator to all this is the MPEM or as I call it the ECU (electronic control unit). It also has to have a good ground but I think you would have engine running issues if it was ECU ground.

I have noticed one engine issue. It started to stall at low rpm. Very sluggish. I do like the idea of connecting one at a time. If I do that, each time I connect one do I need to turn battery switch of?

Is the ECU the same as ECM?

Thanks for all the responses.

Yes it is. The electronic control module. And yes the power should be disconnected when pulling plugs and reseating them.

I'd start with bferg's first suggestion and check for continuity for proper ground on all gauges, blower, lights, etc. It could be that closing the circuit on the blower provides an otherwise missing ground to the fuel gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back