2012 Seadoo Challenger 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

wav

Just acquired this boat and I am a full on novice so bear with me please. Had the boat inspected by a mechanic and some electrical, battery clean up and fuse box work was done. When I did my sea trial with the previous owner everything seem to work okay. He did tell me about some fuse issues which is why I got the mechanic to look at it before we took the boat out.

On a couple of occasions the boat would crank and run okay but after a stop and restart the boat engine wouldn't turn over. Each time the engine eventually did turn over but this is obviously a concern. When I got the boat back home I tried to flush it out but I could not get the boat to turnover at all to complete the flush out.

Also, I don't know if its normal or not for these jet engines but the rattling sound they make starting up and while running seems odd no?

Furthermore, I attached a picture of the dash and I am wondering what this circled symbol is? This and the check engine light are also something I am clueless about. Maybe I should be more worried about the check engine light but I wasn't sure if its just like a car's computer that needs to be reset.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20230520_192349.jpg
    20230520_192349.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Some things to consider.

1.. If you don't get 2 beeps when the key is put on the DESS post, the machine will not start. Sometimes the keys are difficult and need to be wiggled as they are not on the post straight.
2.. If you are saying you get 2 beeps, but the start button does nothing, I would first start with your battery. Are the terminals tight? Is there any corrosion?
3.. If you have the ability to pull the battery out and take it somewhere to test it.

Another issue could be the starter solenoid.

I don't know how mechanical you are so feel free to chime in...

The icon on the screen is for the depth sensor. If you are on land, most likely it will come back with erroneous results.

As for the rattle... DO you mean when it is started on land? If so, yes this is the impeller and is normal for jet boats. If it is rattling in the water, that is not normal.

Reactions: wav
Welcome to the forum.

Some things to consider.

1.. If you don't get 2 beeps when the key is put on the DESS post, the machine will not start. Sometimes the keys are difficult and need to be wiggled as they are not on the post straight.
2.. If you are saying you get 2 beeps, but the start button does nothing, I would first start with your battery. Are the terminals tight? Is there any corrosion?
3.. If you have the ability to pull the battery out and take it somewhere to test it.

Another issue could be the starter solenoid.

I don't know how mechanical you are so feel free to chime in...

The icon on the screen is for the depth sensor. If you are on land, most likely it will come back with erroneous results.

As for the rattle... DO you mean when it is started on land? If so, yes this is the impeller and is normal for jet boats. If it is rattling in the water, that is not normal.

Attached is what it sounds like when its struggling to start. I don't think its a power/battery problem. I've never noticed any beeps but I will check this today.

Attachments

• messages_0 (1).zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Ok then.

Your machine turns over fine but does not start.

For your machine to run, you need 3 things. Air, fuel, and compression. Let's start with the easy stuff.

When you put the key on the DESS post, do you hear the fuel pump humming for a second?

Ok then.

Your machine turns over fine but does not start.

For your machine to run, you need 3 things. Air, fuel, and compression. Let's start with the easy stuff.

When you put the key on the DESS post, do you hear the fuel pump humming for a second?
I don't think he confirmed if the engine was really turning over or not. It sounded like he said it was NOT turning over: "but after a stop and restart the boat engine wouldn't turn over". Maybe we need to make sure we are using the same definitions. "Turn over" means the starter motor engages and spins the motor, but does not mean it starts running. So is it turning over or not?

The engine completes a full start some times and other times it doesn't. Not sure if I am using the right terminology but that video is what's happening some times. Not near the boat right now to try and hear the fuel pump.

If you press the start button and nothing happens, your machine will not turn over. If it does what you posted it the video, it is turning over but does not start. (no combustion)

If it always turns over, it is meeting the conditions to do so, which is Key is validated and the throttle is in neutral. If it sometimes starts and other times turns over and fails to start, you need to figure out which of the necessities to combustion you are missing.

Fuel, Air, Compression, Spark.

If you are somewhat mechanical, you can remove the intake at the throttle body and spray starting fluid in there while turning it over to see if it catches (Sounds like it is starting). If it does, your issue is related to fuel delivery and can focus there. If it doesn't it start it is not fuel.

How does it run when it does start?

If you press the start button and nothing happens, your machine will not turn over. If it does what you posted it the video, it is turning over but does not start. (no combustion)

If it always turns over, it is meeting the conditions to do so, which is Key is validated and the throttle is in neutral. If it sometimes starts and other times turns over and fails to start, you need to figure out which of the necessities to combustion you are missing.

Fuel, Air, Compression, Spark.

If you are somewhat mechanical, you can remove the intake at the throttle body and spray starting fluid in there while turning it over to see if it catches (Sounds like it is starting). If it does, your issue is related to fuel delivery and can focus there. If it doesn't it start it is not fuel.

How does it run when it does start?
When it does start it runs well. Stays in idle and doesnt ever turn off.

Ok, I am going to assume that if the fuel pump runs, you have fuel.

Have you ever heard a beep from the machine?

Hi again. Do you guys have links or info on the navigation lights or bulbs for this boat? It would be great if I could add some sort of flood lights in the front or back. Thanks

Back