2002 Sea Doo - 240 Merc

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrp9233

I have a 2002 Sea Doo Islandia that I've owned for 2 years. I took it down for the first time after sitting for about 5 months. it started right up, but when the throttle was Advanced about 2500 RPMs the warning alarm would sound in the engine would retard. Of course this happens regardless if it's in forward or reverse. I confirmed the oil level was good and the blower was on. what should I check first?

Start with the cheap & easy--
Is there water in the fuel filter?
Make sure all cooling passages are clear and not blocked by bug bodies/bits/pieces/debris.
Do you still have throttle guardian?

What alarm was it? Also... what engine does it have. I'm assuming a first gen 240 EFI... but we need a verification. (A picture is worth 1000 words)

Start with the cheap & easy--
Is there water in the fuel filter?
Make sure all cooling passages are clear and not blocked by bug bodies/bits/pieces/debris.
Do you still have throttle guardian?
I'm not sure what a throttle Guardian is. And how do I check for blockages in cooling passages?

You have the newer style 240 engine. SO... the alarm will tell us what was wrong. SO... how many beeps, and what was the pattern?

As above... it could be the guardian. It's a little box that keeps you from over reving the engine in neutral or reverse. BUT... they fail, and will do strange things. (Cause random intermittent problems) I recommend pulling it out, and putting it in the trash... if your boat still has it. Look in the helm, where the fuses are... and look for a black box with some wire coming out of it. (other than the fuse block) You can literally cut it loose, and tape up the wires. (or take the time to find the physical connections)

Thank you, this sounds like a great start. I will count the beeps and reply back. I think it was 3 but I don't remember for sure

Just an FYI....

I was looking over the chart on that engine... the only condition with beeping, and reduced RPM is if the computer thinks the TPS went bad.

BUT... I think if the fuel was below 1/8th tank... is will also reduce speed with a beep. All other reduced RPM conditions would have a continuous sound.

I flushed the engine for 10 minutes, looked for the guardian but could find; see attached pic to see if I was in the correct area. put boat back in the lake no change, except the warning was a steady tone. it is most likely a steady tone all along. thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 2002 Islandia fuse block.jpg
    2002 Islandia fuse block.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 35
That's where mine was. The guardian was mounted left of that fuse block. (a little out of the pic) But I'm not seeing the extra wires.

A steady beep could be any of the normal warnings. Over temp, water in fuel, low oil.... and, unfortunately with the V2 engines... anything the computer doesn't like. (You need a scan tool or smart gauge to read it out)

With that said... on the V2 engines... there has been issues with the oil level switch. You may want to check it's function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back