2002 RX-DI Common Issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleW2

Long story short, I have a lead on a free 2002 RX DI Seadoo. He said the engine seized a few years back, pulled the engine and was going to have it replaced but never got around to it. Still has all the parts.

So...I did some reading and I know these machines are very expensive for parts and difficult to find the issues. That said, I think it would be a fun project that I can take my time on over the next year or so, maybe have it ready for next season and have a reliable machine.

I won’t be picking it up for a month or so, in the meantime I want to make a list of stuff I should fix, replace etc. If anybody has any recommendations, please post them up! I’d like to replace or test anything that typically causes issues with these. Thanks in advance!

List so far(yes I know there will be way more):
1. Ship engine out to SES
2. Test fuel pump, replace if necessary
3. Rebuild air compressor
4. Possibly replace fuel pressure regulator

OR: Is it worth swapping to a carbed 951 engine since the engine is blown either way?

Last edited:
Long story short, I have a lead on a free 2002 RX DI Seadoo. He said the engine seized a few years back, pulled the engine and was going to have it replaced but never got around to it. Still has all the parts.

So...I did some reading and I know these machines are very expensive for parts and difficult to find the issues. That said, I think it would be a fun project that I can take my time on over the next year or so, maybe have it ready for next season and have a reliable machine.

I won’t be picking it up for a month or so, in the meantime I want to make a list of stuff I should fix, replace etc. If anybody has any recommendations, please post them up! I’d like to replace or test anything that typically causes issues with these. Thanks in advance!

List so far(yes I know there will be way more):
1. Ship engine out to SES
2. Test fuel pump, replace if necessary
3. Rebuild air compressor
4. Possibly replace fuel pressure regulator

OR: Is it worth swapping to a carbed 951 engine since the engine is blown either way?
It will be cheaper to buy a carbed RX ski. replace the filters on the pump and clean the pump. Search the forum, there are lots of post on par numbers for the filters, and cleaning the pump.
Send the fuel and air injectors out for cleaning.
replace all oil hoses
clean fuel and oil tanks

A blown up 951 DI project is a waste of time and money.
Yep that’s kind of what I’m thinking now that I’ve done more research.
Wondering if I should just pick it up and part it out, or not even waste my time

If it were you, and you wanted a project: what engine would you look for?

Decided to take the advice of all of you and steer away from the DI model. That said, if anybody in the Dallas, TX area wants it for parts - let me know and I can pick it up for you when I get back in May.

Found a nice condition 1996 GTI I'm going to get instead. Previous owner has maintenance records and engine bay looks pretty clean in pics.

2002 XP was the best carving
GTX best riding
GSX most spinny
HX most tippy
96 XP most ridiculous

Anything after 2002 is just wrong. too much weight and cost more than a used Civic. :p
I'm pretty new to these skis but I feel the same way. Mini BOATs they are. Gimme the old ones. Way cooler !!

Okay quick question.
Guy sent me pics today to see if I was still interested.
It is definitely an RX but nowhere on the hood or the side does it say RX DI. Just RX. Quick search shows they did have a RX and an RX DI in 2002. Did they ever come unlabeled from the factory with no indication of being a DI ski?

It’s the carb model if it doesn’t say direct fuel injection on the side or on the engine.

It’s the carb model if it doesn’t say direct fuel injection on the side or on the engine.
Thanks!
I just emailed BRP and shockingly they replied in under 15 minutes. They confirmed based on the HIN that it is a standard RX.

Think I am going to pick it up this week and then decide my next move. If the cases are okay I’ll keep it and rebuild it myself over time. If the cases are cracked from the seize I’ll sell it for parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back