2002 GTX 4-tech Ring Seal Carrier fused to shaft

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppy

I have 2 2002 GTX-4tech skis that need the carbon rings replaced. It's my first time out doing this, but followed along on some utube vids about how to go about it, and seem to be reasonably competent wrenching these things (I've had them 7 years or so).

The problem I'm having is that on BOTH of these - the ring seal carrier will not move on the shaft at all - making it impossible to get to the c-clips keeping the carriers in place.

I have a special tool to push on these (a lever-style deal that applies force directly to the Carrier), so I have pretty good authority over them, but still cannot get them to move.

I've applied some fairly restrained propane-torch heat to one of them, but that hasn't panned out either.

I have the replacement part in the kits, so don't mind destroying them in the process, but certainly don't want to muck up the shafts.

I'm just looking for some advice on how to tackle this - hopefully from somebody who has gone down this path before.

Since the location of these makes them very hard to work with - I'm starting to give consideration to attacking them with a dreml in an attempt to split them, but I'm concerned I'll end up injuring the shafts in the process

Is heat expected to eventually conquer this problem, or are there other suggestions? So far I've restrained myself to propane, but I have hotter options at my disposal as well, just concerned about directing that much heat into the hull.

since it's very difficult to get down in there with something like a hammer - I'm not sure how to go about trying to get these to move.

Suggestions please?

C

Are you pushing it away from the engine to get to the c-clip? If you have the correct tool sometimes you can hold tight on the tool and hit the end of the shaft with a hammer using a piece of wood as an extension and softener, I find the tool has to apply even pressure on the ring before it pops loose easily, some tools are adjustable to help it sit square on the ring.

Last edited:
thank you for that, gives me something else to try.

the tool is adjustable, and I've set it up to get a perpendicular attack on the seal.

and yes, pushing away from the engine.

On the main subject, the pump is off, and I'm holding the shaft captive with a wooden jig that is applying tension via two of the bolts that hold the pump to the hull.

The idea of giving the wood a whack while holding the tool is a good one - I shall try that next.

Thanks for the idea.

C

Remember , at all times do not 'drop' the shaft at the end or you could damage the spline adaptor inside the engine, I usually use a rolled up rag to support it while working, keep it as close to the center as possible. If you remove the wood jig the tool will pull the shaft out of the engine slightly , then you can try hitting the shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back