2002 gti le starter disengage problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdnester1

New to the forum. We just bought an 02 gti le. When I bought it the guy started it up for me and it had no problems. He had to take a battery out of his 4wheeler because the one in it was dead but it started right up and ran great. It has a new sbt engine with about 30 hrs on it. Here is my problem. I charged the dead battery he gave me with it and put it in and got the beeps, tried to start it and it turned over a couple of times but the battery didn't have enough of a charge to crank it more than a couple of turns before it went dead. I disconnected the battery and charged it again.When I was re-connecting the battery cables as I connected the positive wire the starter engaged and began turning the motor (no key attached and no beeps). I have taken the start/stop switch out and it is fine. I have looked all through the engine compartment and there are no loose wires or corroded cables etc. Anyone experienced this before? This is my first pwc, I have had and worked on 2stroke dirt bikes all of my life so I am mechanically sound just not familiar with the seadoo setups. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like the starter solenoid is sticking open maybe due to moisture but quite possibly Ive heard a low voltage weak battery can cause the solenoid to stick. A shorted starter button could also be a problem. I assume when you disconnected the button it didnt stop cranking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes find where the starter solenoid is and pull out the connector, reconnect battery. If it cranks, replace the solenoid. If it doesnt crank its either the button or the MPEM. I have parts available once you figure it out.

Well I pulled the plug on the solenoid and tried what you said. Nothing after I pulled the plug! Put the plug back in and tried it and voila, everything is working agin like it should. Not sure what the deal was but it is working great now. Thanks for the help!

Keep an eye on it. The half dead battery could have caused the solenoid to not close completely and arch the contacts making it stick. Install a new battery and keep an eye on it. If it continues to stick replace the solenoid.

Here in Canada i've started using the NAPA sealed batteries. I get them on sale for 99.99. They are just great. 325-400CCA damn near more than the old battery in my beater civic LOL. One thing they like is being charged at higher amperage (thats what the instructions say). I had a lead acid battery start failing and struggle to turn over the old 91 gt. Put this new battery in and it cranks so fast you wouldn't think the plugs are in! And when you have a good battery, you have better spark and in theory, (slightly) more power.

The solenoid is a very common failure. I would recommend that you purchase one and have it as a spare. They fail to often and are too cheap of an item not to have one as it will ruin your entire weekend in the event you need it.

I agree, it's a good idea to replace the starter solenoid if it has been sticking. Otherwise if it sticks and the engine is running your starter will be running at the same time while the engine is running and that would damage the starter in a short time.

The studded copper lugs inside the solenoid wear out over time, and/or they can corrode inside the assembly and cause sticking in the on position. Probably the solenoid is worn out and it's time to replace it as cheap insurance against starter damage and/or being stuck out on the lake with a "no-start".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back