2002 gti le stalled out on the lake

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

robcor79

got a 2002 gti le and ran it all day. then all of a sudden it stalled. i had filled the machine 3 times and did not put in any oil as i was told it was self injecting. (new to the seadoo world) so at first i thought it stalled as a safety feature for no oil. i put in about 2 litres of oil and it took a while to start but it did start. took it for a nice ride and shut it down to test if it started and it did, i thought the problem was fixed. next morning i took it out for a ride and it stalled out in the middle of the lake. tried to start it when i finally got back to shore and nothing just a clicking sound which made me think of the battery (which is new|) but tried boosting it anyways and still the same click, so now i think it may be the starter but that would not cause it to stall out on the the lake. would it??? took it in the marina but they will not look at it until next week and i am just wondering some possible problems, major or minor??? i hate not knowing things.
any help would be great!!!

Pop the sparkplugs out... and remove the gray cover at the rear of the engine, and see if you can turn it over by hand.

ok,
got the marina involved and actually got a call yesterday stating that it looks as though the piston has come up to hit the spark plug. what would cause such a thing to happen? what kind of damage would that have caused? they tell me that i may need a new engine that will run me around $3000. not sure if i trust this. i am new to seadoos and am out in the dark here. please help.

I don't know how a piston can hit the spark plug if it is still connected to the crankshaft. Did you pull the plugs as suggested? If a piston hit it it would be pretty smashed at the tip. You can get a new/rebuilt engine for less than $900. But the money is in the removal/reinstall.
The oil is self injecting as you said but you need to ensure the tank has oil in it. It shouldn't go down that much so fast. Good luck.

Sounds like you are in the dealer's hands. Ensure you get clear explanations of what is wrong and how they determined it. Then post what they said to get a second opinion from the experts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back