2002 challenger 210hp mercury smoking

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottsmach03

I know all two strokes smoke a little, and mine is no different. I noticed that this season there is a little more smoke, and takes longer for the smoke to "thin". I bought the boat last year and never had to change the oil or anything. The origional owner had it already to go. I dont know what oil he use but when I put fresh oil in this season I put in pennzoil full synthetic 2 cycle oil. I looked in my manual and it said this was acceptable oil for the mercurys.

Is there a difference as far as smoking goes between the pennzoil and say the quicksilver?

There are no performance issues, it idles and handle just the same as it did last year. I got it up to 55mph the other day and thats the same speed it top'd out at before.

I can't tell you for sure if the extra smoke is from switching oils, but I know from my dirt bikes and quads any time I tried a cheaper oil they would smoke like a bugger and foul plugs.

Aaron:cheers:

Its not enough smoke to foul the plugs, its just a constant real thin smoke. Last year it would smoke a little but once it warmed up it wasnt noticable. I going to buy a few gallons of quicksilver this weekend and change it out. Maybe the quicksilver burns a little better.

I went up to walmart and looked at the quicksilver oil, they have a semi synthetic, a premium, and then a full synthetic but its not a tc-w3. Since i have a mercury it specifys the tc-w3 2 cycle oil. The pennzoil full synthetic was the same price as the quicksilver semi synthetic. Seems like the full synthetic would be the better choice.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I run the Quicksilver premium TC-W3 in my 200 Optimax, and have zero smoke. Take that with a grain of salt though, as it may or may not be directly related to the type of oil.

I can't comment of the Pennzoil because I have never tried it in my boat, but the Mercury manual I have specifically recommends the premium.

I run the Quicksilver premium TC-W3 in my 200 Optimax, and have zero smoke. Take that with a grain of salt though, as it may or may not be directly related to the type of oil.

I can't comment of the Pennzoil because I have never tried it in my boat, but the Mercury manual I have specifically recommends the premium.

Thanks for the insight Aaron; im going to fill it up with a tank of gas this weekend, clean the plugs and then take it out see if there is any smoke. If there is then I will try the quicksilver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back