2001 Utopia buy or Walk?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

danzr1

There is a 2001 Utopia someone is selling with a drop in RPM after a few seconds, and some sheared bolts after trying to remove the jet drive. He wants $4k CDN. Take a chance? Boats looks to be in good shape otherwise. I have owned 2 Seadoo boats, 1997 Challengers. I don't see many places to buy parts is my concern.

It's got a Mercury engine in it. Parts shouldn't be too scarce, but it's not a typical seadoo 2 stroke engine. So you'll have a little steeper learning curve.

There is a 2001 Utopia someone is selling with a drop in RPM after a few seconds, and some sheared bolts after trying to remove the jet drive. He wants $4k CDN. Take a chance? Boats looks to be in good shape otherwise. I have owned 2 Seadoo boats, 1997 Challengers. I don't see many places to buy parts is my concern.

Boat parts are tough to come by. Sometimes you get lucky. Hit me up for the Mercury service manual if you decide to buy.

Parts can be ordered direct from large online Mercury dealers or your local Mercury dealer. Some of the parts you might need have been discontinued. Others are obscenely expensive. Some can be found aftermarket (trigger base); some can be repaired (injectors). Ebay is another source, but sometimes they can be very expensive, too.

Someone near me (12065 zip) (100mile radius)on Facebook is selling one with a trailer for $1500 that says “was told needs engine replaced”. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. Take a battery and compression checker and maybe you have a good deal and it’s not the engine itself

Yes, many places online to get the 210 m2 sport jet parts from mercury. Everything is available. Same with the 240efi
That's what I thought, add I mentioned before. I believe they're the same power head as the outboard Merc or very similar.

Someone near me (12065 zip) (100mile radius)on Facebook is selling one with a trailer for $1500 that says “was told needs engine replaced”. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. Take a battery and compression checker and maybe you have a good deal and it’s not the engine itself
Cool, so I'm not far off on that price. He wants $3100 cdn, (i'm in Canada), interior looks good and it does rev up he said, just not for long. I had a 97 challenger that did the same thing, and it was pinhole on the fuel filter. I'm not saying that's the problem, but I'm hoping something simple.

Remove the jet drive?! I’d walk.

Remove the jet drive?! I’d walk.
The shop he took it to are incompetent, they tried doing something to correct a misfire, didnt work, then they said he maybe stripped the driveshaft? Lol. Sheared the bolts on the gate, not the actual jet drive ones

I was told my boat would only run for a bit when I bought it. Turns out the battery was weak and the voltage regulator was bad. $200 fix. I would bring a compression gauge and check each cylinder.

Interior was rough. I passed on it. Drove 4 hours and the guy didn't even make sure the battery was charged it was dead. I wasn't happy. He told me it was in great shape no tears. anyway.

FYI-- do not know much about it... but search Craigs - Uptate NY....Barn Find...5K with 50 hours on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back