2001 seadoo challenger mercury v6 210 carb no spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
need help... i have a 210 mercury powered seadoo challanger with no spark. i looked for the Throttle Guardian as Dr.honda suggested and no luck. I can't seem to find it. I've replaced the stator and switch boxes with no luck. i have trouble believing that all six coils are bad as there is no spark in any of them. I can't even find a shop that would work on them in Miami. Is there anything else i should look for? Here is a link to how the problem started

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?64959-2001-seadoo-challenger-mercury-v6-210-carb-no-spark

Any help would be appreciated as I haven't been able to use it all summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.......

If it's all 6, then either there is a ground on the "Kill" line, or the stator is dead. AND... on the 210 engine, I've see 3 or 4 dead stators this year.

I would disconnect the kill wire down by the coils, and then check for spark. If you still don't have any... then make sure the stator is putting out ~300v while cranking.

Dr. Honda thanks again for the reply... What color cable is the kill line? When I chaged the switch boxes I only remember the 3 wires that go to the coils and then the grounds. Am I missing something? Sorry to be a bother but this boats been driving me crazy all summer and I can't evn find a shop that's reputable that would look at it.

The kill wire is the black/yellow wire. It goes from the coils, to the helm, and is connected to the key and the lanyard. (You do have your lanyard on... right?)

I don't think that wire is hooked to the switch box, so that's why you didn't see it.

Dr.honda.... I can't THANK YOU enough! I disconnected the black and yellow wire that goes from the front of the boat to the ecu and switch boxes and and it started right up... The only thing is that the boat doesn't turn off unless I connect that cable back. With that said I assume that the land yard switch is bad. Do you know where I can buy one. I trying to have it before Friday so I can use the boat this
weekend.

OK.... good.

Let me check the wiring on that engine... but it's hooked to the lanyard, the key, switch boxes, and the rev limiter. Also... it could be a simple chaffed wire, and it's grounded somewhere. You will now need to figure out which is bad. I would disconnect all of them, and start checking for the ground.

Dr.honda... I started the boat with the wire off put it in gear both forward and reverse and it worked awesome.. I connected the wire with the land yard key in and it stayed running but when I accelerated it it shut of ( it did this in neutral and in gear). I tried starting the boat with the wire connected and nothing. The moment I disconnect that wire it starts right up. I'm going to get a push button switch to see if that works. Based on at I ordered a new lanyard switch with a new key which I think will solve the problem. Tomorrow I will try the push button switch just to be really sure. But do to the switch being in Wisconsin I ordered it so I can have it by Friday. Btw... I did these test at the marina with the boat in the water.

UPDATE..... It turns out it was not the lanyard switch.. but thanks to that i found that the neutral safety switch wire was almost broken off so i repaired that. while i was messing with the wiring harness i noticed that the ignition switch was hot so i thought what the heck was $40.00 dollars more at this point and i changed it. well... that was the problem the whole time. i guess the contact thats suppose to shut the boat off must have broken inside and cause that wire to constantly stay grounded and kept the coils from firing. Now the boat turns on in a heart beat. Dr.Honda.. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for a moment there i thought i had a real expensive patio ornament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back