2001 rx problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

chow_chow71

Hey guys. I just recently picked up a 2001 RX carb. It’s got 146hrs and about 20 on a new engine the guy showed me the bill so pretty sure it was new. It starts great, idles great and will pull hard out of the hole, revs to 7000-7050 but once you’re moving it will only go 5800-5900 at 46-47 mph. Every once and awhile though it feels like it will open up and take off. Only for a few seconds however. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure if the carbs were rebuilt. What did the old fuel lines look like. I know they were grey but was there any print on them?

If the fuel lines are grey. Replace all of them. And the fuel selector. I would order carb rebuild kits and rebuild the carbs. The carbs get plugged very easily with old fuel and also if the fuel lines weren’t replaced from the original grey color lines. When the fuel suppliers started adding Ethanol to the gas it eats the old lines and plugs the carbs. When that happens it causes the motor to run lean and burn a hole in a piston in a very short time. Only use Mikuni rebuild kits 90% of the eBay ones are junk. One of the other members did a great write up on how to properly rebuild the carbs. Follow it to the tee.

So probably best not to limp it through the season and do it all this fall? Anyway to tell if it is running lean? I looked at the bill for the replacement motor and it has a reed kit listed for $245(cnd) is that all that’s needs replacing on the carbs? I’ll look for that write up.

So probably best not to limp it through the season and do it all this fall? Anyway to tell if it is running lean? I looked at the bill for the replacement motor and it has a reed kit listed for $245(cnd) is that all that’s needs replacing on the carbs? I’ll look for that write up.
The reeds have nothing to do with the carbs, they are like an intake valve into the engine.

If there is any question to the carbs rebuild them now.

Had a similar problem on my 03 rxdi. It would only rev to 6400rpms in the water and max speed of 45mph. Turned out to be a tiny pinhole in my diaphragm on the water control valve mounted on the water box. Not sure if that's your issue but it's worth a check!

Where can I get a carb rebuild kit? Went to the local seadoo dealer and they said I’ll have to buy all the pieces individually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back