2001 Mercury 240 EFI M2 - Burned up 2 voltage regulators

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveFla

Hi all. Looking forward to being an active participant in this forum. I like to buy old watercraft in poor shape, and my son and I restore them. My latest project is a 2001 SeaDoo Sportster 1800 with a Mercury 240 EFI.

I just got to the point where the engine could be run, so I hooked up the hose and it fired right up. During idle, I smelled that foul acrid odor of electronics burning. I looked at the engine, and saw a steady stream of white smoke coming from the upper voltage regulator ("VR").

I shut own and removed the VR. I looked at it as closely as I could. I noted a small hole in the rubber(?) sealant used to seal the internal parts of the VR.

I ordered two new (p/n 883072T 2) voltage regulators with the idea of replacing both (new part numbers). When they arrived, I thought that I better check to be sure it was a bad VR before I put the new one on. So, I put one of the new VRs in the lower VR position, and moved the lower (old part number) VR to the top position. I fired up the motor and let it idle for about 30 seconds. That familiar odor of burning electrical components returned, and before long, the factory sealant began to melt off the back of the old top VR again, and it began to smoke.

I got my shop manual out, and am now chasing wires...

I was wonering if any of you pros have any insight on th problem(s) I am having? Obviously, there is a short somewhere, but I can't find it.

Any and ALL input would be appreciated!

Dave

If you burnt 2 regulators, in the same position... then you have a short in the harness. OR... a short (or ground) in the stator.

I'd pop the flywheel off, and take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back