2001 Merc 240 EFI sportjet // first rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was your total cost and would you do the rebuild again or buy a remanded power head? The reason I'm asking is my PSI is 110 across all 6 which is ok for now but I have the thought of a rebuild/re-power in the future and what to weight the pros and cons.

The Connecting rod picture looks like the pin bearings rusted on the rod. I would look to see if you can replace that rod. You may encounter problems in the future if you don't. The rod/crank damage happens because of the fuel being used contains ethanol which attracts moisture inside the engine. I suggest using ethanol free fuel.

Hi Phillip
The rebuild was not planned as the guy that sold the boat lied. I blame myself partially for not checking properly. Rookie mistake. As for the rebuild, it was a good experience and it cost me about 3k in parts and some labor (cyl bore, bearing press...) I also had to replace the flywheel, 1head, 2 rods and the starter. If I had to, I would do it again. The saving is about 2500$ for doing it yourself. Just take your time and don't rush anything. Also having the support from Dr. Honda and the forum was a key ingredient. 110 psi seems pretty good to me. I'm no expert but these engines are known to run even at 90. Perhaps a home and a new set of rings would do the trick for yours but that's just an opinion. I'll leave it to the experts. Good luck

I took the boat on the water yesterday for the first time since the rebuild and felt some looseness in the shifter knob. Now, out of water, I noticed that the gate moves quite freely when in any position. I can move it loosely about 1.5" each way especially in forward. Which adjustment would take care of that or is it normal? Thx

If you pull up on the shifter and throttle mechanism there are screws that adjust the "drag" on the levers. Adjust as needed. Also, thanks for the feed back on motor rebuild. I will use it for a reference when time comes to make decision.

Thanks but the looseness is on the actual gate behind the boat. When in forward, I can move the gate freely up or down about 2 inches. The lever will not move much when I do this. The loose is in the back

Is the cable outter jacket moving? There's a support sleeve that has a tendency of failing, and once it's pulled from the jacket, the cable loses it's support, and the bucket will move.

Is this easily visible from the back. I pulled the rubber boot but I am not sure if anything is wrong. Will try to send pics

Yes. Just look to see if the outer metal tube is moving with the cable, or if it's still connected to the jacket. Mine failed like that a couple years ago.

Hi
If my starter solenoid is dead, can I be replaced by a car solenoid instead? Does one exist that would do the trick? Not many new boat parts where I am

Ended up buying an original merc solenoid. Back on the water

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know of a good rebuild guide got this motor? Bought a 2000 Islandia with a bad cylinder and the marina that quoted me (before i purchased) refuses to work on this engine. I'm kind stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back