Remanufactured Mercury Sportjet 240 hp from Marine Parts obparts BEWARE

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

SeptemberC

If you are ordering a remanufactured Mercury Sportjet 240 hp (years 2002 & up) Powerhead from Marine Parts Warehouse - obparts.com
PLEASE BE AWARE that they DO NOT include the adapter plate gasket in their "Red Rhino Gasket Kit".
The missing gasket is Mercury part # 859398. You will also need 2 orings - Part # 20826 and Part # 8M0204673.
Even though you give them your serial number and they say they are sending you all required gaskets….
Be aware and order the above in advance.
ASK me how I know 🤦🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• OBparts OBR sportjet powerhead missing gasket.gif
    OBparts OBR sportjet powerhead missing gasket.gif
    240.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2489.jpeg
    IMG_2489.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 10
Your post said "ASK me how I know
🤦🏼‍♀️
" so I felt obligated to ask!
Have you tried OSD Marine? They have good prices and are great to deal with.

Your post said "ASK me how I know
🤦🏼‍♀️
" so I felt obligated to ask!
Have you tried OSD Marine? They have good prices and are great to deal with.
I have not tried them. SO FAR SO GOOD with the new powerhead longblock. We were just delayed a week on installation due to the adapter plate gasket not being included. We verified serial number and that all gaskets would be included prior to ordering.
We put her in the water on Friday after resetting the PCM to reset the oil pump to “break in”. 10 hours of additional oiling I assume.
I did not really NEED to purchase the long block. Unfortunately we live in a rural area and we couldn’t find a machine shop that would hone the cylinders and put new rings on the pistons for us. I also didn’t want to wait possibly MONTHS. This may have been more expensive but I’m ok with it.
I’ll have my old powerhead long block available to sell. It would be great for someone who lives in an area with machine shops. Comes with the crankshaft, pistons, (old rings), connecting rods.

Thanks for reading my post. 🥰

If you are ordering a remanufactured Mercury Sportjet 240 hp (years 2002 & up) Powerhead from Marine Parts Warehouse - obparts.com
PLEASE BE AWARE that they DO NOT include the adapter plate gasket in their "Red Rhino Gasket Kit".
The missing gasket is Mercury part # 859398. You will also need 2 orings - Part # 20826 and Part # 8M0204673.
Even though you give them your serial number and they say they are sending you all required gaskets….
Be aware and order the above in advance.
ASK me how I know View attachment 64584

I ran into the same thing when I had my engine rebuilt in Homestead. Blame Mercury, not the builder. Mercury says all the gaskets are included, but adapter plate gasket was not included from Mercury.

Looks like you have fiberglass reeds installed. Did you have any noticeable change in performance from the oem stainless reeds to the fiberglass reeds?

I ran into the same thing when I had my engine rebuilt in Homestead. Blame Mercury, not the builder. Mercury says all the gaskets are included, but adapter plate gasket was not included from Mercury.

Looks like you have fiberglass reeds installed. Did you have any noticeable change in performance from the oem stainless reeds to the fiberglass reeds?
There is a Mercury kit that includes the adapter plate gasket. There are 3 extra gaskets in the kit depending on what you have. It makes more sense than have 2 or 3 different gasket kits with 99% the same gaskets in them.
I doubt we’ll ever be doing this again but in the future I’ll know to ask exactly what gaskets are included instead of “Are all gaskets included?”.

Regarding the reeds. We have broken reeds twice. Both were fiberglass. Once when the engine got hydrolocked and this last time due to a backfire cause by a leaky fuel injector. The good thing is that fiberglass is easily chewed up without damage to the cylinder. I have seen damage from the stainless reeds. My engine serial number starts with 0E416 and I think that makes it a gen 2.

Back