Just purchased a 2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000 Mercury v6 240 hp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we took the boat out for a campout this weekend...it is guzzling 10 gallons per hour which is twice what it should be burning, so it is going back to the dealer to find out how to fix that. Initially it was only topping out at 42-45 mph which probably is not as fast as it will go either, so hopefully fixing the gas guzzling issue will also give me more performance...we will see what mechanic comes up with.

It really depends on how you run and truthfully I don't know for the Sportjet but 14GPH WOT is the general boating consumption number that sticks in my head. Could be considerably more depending on the boat and passenger load.

This is why we don't just ride around all day, we go out and anchor near shore and float around.

So we took the boat out for a campout this weekend...it is guzzling 10 gallons per hour which is twice what it should be burning, so it is going back to the dealer to find out how to fix that. Initially it was only topping out at 42-45 mph which probably is not as fast as it will go either, so hopefully fixing the gas guzzling issue will also give me more performance...we will see what mechanic comes up with.
I don’t know these engines fuel consumption but 10gph seems adequate for 210-240hp. One thing I note on mine is the fuel gauge will read empty with 3/8-1/2 tank still left. My carver has twin 350cod small blocks propelling a 20k on boat on plane and I am about 30gph for both engines.

Don't know why some say parts are hard to get-- Merc has been using that engine for many years on their outboard (except the crank). I have the same boat and engine, can find any part I have needed. But they are EXPENSIVE.

Most Merc dealers won't work on them because they are hard to work on. Sometimes standing on your head almost.

Hey Tim75,

Hoping you can guide me in the correct direction based on your statement about finding parts.

I have a 2001 Challenger 2000 with the mercury 240 efi... I need a new fuel pump, is it the same as a 2001 mercury 240 outboard? I’ve searched all over the internet and am struggling to nail down what is the correct part.

I’m new to this boat and working on boats. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Which fuel pump?
There are 3.

Thanks for your quick reply

That’s is probably the beginning of my mystery!

I am not sure, here’s a snap shot of both sides of my motor. Does this help?

I’m confident once I get the correct part I’ll be able to put it in. I just ordered the owners manual.

Attachments

• 7F7E0B88-4E55-4CA3-A434-939DF8024409.jpeg
    7F7E0B88-4E55-4CA3-A434-939DF8024409.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
  • E9FBCC83-8568-4F63-A9F4-74DBBBB4E609.jpeg
    E9FBCC83-8568-4F63-A9F4-74DBBBB4E609.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 52
Thanks for your quick reply

That’s is probably the beginning of my mystery!

I am not sure, here’s a snap shot of both sides of my motor. Does this help?

I’m confident once I get the correct part I’ll be able to put it in. I just ordered the owners manual.

Pics were not a lot of help. 1st shows no fuel pumps. 2nd shows all 3.

The pumps are thus:
1) lift pump. Does what a primer bulb does on a small outboard.
2) engine pulse pump. Driven by crankcase vacuum/pressure pulses. Maintains flow while engine is running.
3) injector high pressure pump. Inside the VST.

If #1, I bought mine from Rock Auto for $40. It is a generic MARINE fuel pump.

Pics were not a lot of help. 1st shows no fuel pumps. 2nd shows all 3.

The pumps are thus:
1) lift pump. Does what a primer bulb does on a small outboard.
2) engine pulse pump. Driven by crankcase vacuum/pressure pulses. Maintains flow while engine is running.
3) injector high pressure pump. Inside the VST.

If #1, I bought mine from Rock Auto for $40. It is a generic MARINE fuel pump.

Ok, yeah my rookiness is burning through pretty hard here....

So I hear the pump with the ignition come on.

So it must be number 2 or 3, potentially both? I have a manual coming . I’ll run some diagnostics to narrow things down.

Thank you!

So it must be number 2 or 3, potentially both? I have a manual coming . I’ll run some diagnostics to narrow things down.

Thank you!

If the pump makes a thump thump sound, that is the lift pump.

Thank you!

I can send you a PDF of the manual if you pm me your email address.

We replaced the guts of our lift pump.

I am new to the forum. 70% sure I want to buy a Sea Doo Challenger but 90% sure I want the Mercruiser. I know they are not made anymore but after looking at this forum seems like u can find them but expensive. Please, I will take any feedback you would have... especially what to look for as a check list ? Looking at a 2002 right now... an XP and another possibly an SE. need to know when to walk away: I will do a lake trial.

I am new to the forum. 70% sure I want to buy a Sea Doo Challenger but 90% sure I want the Mercruiser. I know they are not made anymore but after looking at this forum seems like u can find them but expensive. Please, I will take any feedback you would have... especially what to look for as a check list ? Looking at a 2002 right now... an XP and another possibly an SE. need to know when to walk away: I will do a lake trial.

Meant to say seems like u can find them ( the parts) but possibly expensive ? Meant to say parts. I am looking at a 2002 and also a 2006 hoping to hear from y’all a list of “ Don’t buy if u find this” or “ if u find or hear this it costs $$$$ to fix LOL...”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back