2001 GTX oil mess

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

roda

my 2001 GTX has an oil leak in the premix tank and is filling the hull with oil. I've tried researching the pro/cons of going pre-mix but most of the post are for the rotary valve engines. I only boat on the lake behind my house (no long no-wake idles) so I'm thinking of just blanking the pump and going 40:1 premix.

I'm the only person fueling this ski.
Not worried about extra cost of oil.
Used to tow tubes/wakeskates on small lake (can't hold WOT more than 30 sec).

Any comments/suggestions on going this route with the 947 engines?

Thanks
-Rodney

There is no reason to go premix because you will use a ton mor oil

The newer 2 piece tanks like yours crack with age and leak at the seams.

You can get a brand new OEM tank for $99 and new rubber grommets for another $20 and be good for another 10-15 years.

There is no reason to go premix because you will use a ton mor oil

The newer 2 piece tanks like yours crack with age and leak at the seams.

You can get a brand new OEM tank for $99 and new rubber grommets for another $20 and be good for another 10-15 years.

Thanks Mikidymac, I was just thinking of simplifying the machine and wondering what the downsides are besides having to buy more oil. IE: do you see a performance issue in any types of riding such as towing a tube?

There is no performance issue with going to premix. It will smoke more at idle and use way more oil in general.

If you are set on going premix, do it correctly and buy the kit to block off the oil pump and the caps for the intake nipples.

If you stay oil injection get a new tank, tank grommets, oil filter and replace the small 3/32" oil lines from the oil pump to the intake manifold. Then it will be good to go for another 20 years.

Just to add to this if you can find one of the old 1 piece tanks from a 1996 GSX you will never have to buy another one again. They will fit all GTX, GSX, RX and GTI skis. This is a well known mod so they have become very difficult to find and expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back