2001 gti driveshaft removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheflen

I have gotten the rubber boot off where the driveshaft connects to the PTO and I know some people say to remove the "c clip" when removing these driveshafts but I cannot find it anywhere. What am I missing? My driveshaft won't budge

The c clip could be a rubber oring or you're not pulling the stainless hat back far enough, is the pump still in?

You slide the thing that looks like a metal top hat towards the impeller and it will be around or hanging on to the driveshaft

Is the pump still in?
Yes the pump is still in but the motor mounts are out and I know I will get murdered for this but I am trying to slide the motor out with the pump still on, I'm trying to rebuild my bottom end on the fly. So I should slide the motor forward and the shaft should expose a c clip?

No need to go to all the trouble I’d you aren’t removing the pump. Just pull the engine forward farther. The only thing holding the engine to the driveshaft is the rubber boot on the PTO flywheel.

That being said you should have the pump out so you can align the engine when it goes back in. If you don’t align the engine you risk damaging the driveshaft seal and splines.

No need to go to all the trouble I’d you aren’t removing the pump. Just pull the engine forward farther. The only thing holding the engine to the driveshaft is the rubber boot on the PTO flywheel.

That being said you should have the pump out so you can align the engine when it goes back in. If you don’t align the engine you risk damaging the driveshaft seal and splines.
See but I removed that rubber boot, I pulled as hard as I could and it's not moving.
Is there a chance that it's stuck in there?

It can’t hurt and might lube it so it comes out easier. Nothing else is holding it in there but friction.
Honestly you’re better off pulling the driveshaft and pump correctly.

It can’t hurt and might lube it so it comes out easier. Nothing else is holding it in there but friction.
Honestly you’re better off pulling the driveshaft and pump correctly.
As always, you're right mikidymac, I'll have to just do it, the pump takes a few minutes to pull if it's not stuck anyway, it's just hard to be in the garage with this 80 degree weather

There is a guy on YouTube that hydroforms steel with a grease gun, scrapes the grease out, puts it back in the gun and does it again

You need to get the stainless hat off the driveshaft seal before you pull the pump or you will have nothing to push against to slide it back far enough to remove the c-clip or o-ring that retains it.

Pulled my engine last night the same way (01 GTS) After the engine mount bolts were removed, I used a big pry bar between the rubber mount and engine mount, and just gave it an easy push, popped the shaft right out .

Pulled my engine last night the same way (01 GTS) After the engine mount bolts were removed, I used a big pry bar between the rubber mount and engine mount, and just gave it an easy push, popped the shaft right out .
I would do that but my shaft has already slid out of the end of the pump,band has some play. Not like it can slide all of the way out, but it moves around everywhere. It's just a mess and I've been working 12 hour days since I've posted this so I haven't been able to work on it at all. I just want this shaft out so I can start rebuilding this motor and get back out

I would do that but my shaft has already slid out of the end of the pump,band has some play. Not like it can slide all of the way out, but it moves around everywhere. It's just a mess and I've been working 12 hour days since I've posted this so I haven't been able to work on it at all. I just want this shaft out so I can start rebuilding this motor and get back out
Then your gonna have to remove the pump to get it out of the fly wheel/ harmonic balancer end.

Can you just remove the shaft adapter plate ? 6 Allen head bolts and the shaft/plate should be separate from the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back