pump removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Beezle7834

First thread for me as a new member, great advise and tips in this forum however I am having a stink myself. 1996 seadoo spi is my little fun toy and I am replacing the carbon ring. First thing I noticed is shaft has O ring not c clip, but the stink is with all bolts off and hoses disconnected pump won't budge to come off anyone have a tip for me?(
no m

Sometimes there is just some corrosion holding the pump on the mounting plate. Someone may have used an rtv sealant the last time the pump was off which makes it difficult. You can try to use the L shaped end of a pry bar to carefully try to wiggle each mounting tab away from the mounting plate. Be very careful with the amount of force so you do not break/damage the mounting tabs. I had a 96 SP that was so secure I needed to make a tool similar to the one shown in the shop manual to eventually get it to budge. When reassembling use a neoprene seal ring without sealant. Also if you are replacing the carbon ring you want to carefully inspect the mating surface of the stainless steel hat for corrosion/damage. Also you should replace the o-ring with a stainless circlip to avoid a failure of the o-ring.

I'm not sure on that particular ski but there are likely 3 hose connections INSIDE of the hull that connect to the pump. One is the feed line that will have a hose clamp on it, the other 2 are bilge suction lines that likely have a ty wrap securing them to the fitting. Be careful with those plastic fittings... they will break if you get too mean with them. You can make a pump removal tool. I just use some very small pry bars with the 90 degree and some crafty maneuvering of hand tools to loosen the pump and remove it. Just be firm but gentle. Don't break nuthin. :D Good Luck !!

Sometimes there is just some corrosion holding the pump on the mounting plate. Someone may have used an rtv sealant the last time the pump was off which makes it difficult. You can try to use the L shaped end of a pry bar to carefully try to wiggle each mounting tab away from the mounting plate. Be very careful with the amount of force so you do not break/damage the mounting tabs. I had a 96 SP that was so secure I needed to make a tool similar to the one shown in the shop manual to eventually get it to budge. When reassembling use a neoprene seal ring without sealant. Also if you are replacing the carbon ring you want to carefully inspect the mating surface of the stainless steel hat for corrosion/damage. Also you should replace the o-ring with a stainless circlip to avoid a failure of the o-ring.
thank you for the reply! carbon ring kit came with everything needed and thank you

I'm not sure on that particular ski but there are likely 3 hose connections INSIDE of the hull that connect to the pump. One is the feed line that will have a hose clamp on it, the other 2 are bilge suction lines that likely have a ty wrap securing them to the fitting. Be careful with those plastic fittings... they will break if you get too mean with them. You can make a pump removal tool. I just use some very small pry bars with the 90 degree and some crafty maneuvering of hand tools to loosen the pump and remove it. Just be firm but gentle. Don't break nuthin. :D Good Luck !!
thank you, I will explore your advice as well, this forum is awesome because guys like you and Art helping with tips and suggestions

thank you, I will explore your advice as well, this forum is awesome because guys like you and Art helping with tips and suggestions
I'm just paying back. When I found this forum I had just bought my first ski. Lots of people helped me on here. Great place!!

Back