2001 Challenger Issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamezz

Today I was driving my boat for about ten minutes and when I tried to accelerate it would not go. When I tried to put it into neutral it died. I then tried to restart it and it would not start immediately and I had to keep turning it over to get it to start. After I got it started it had barely any power and it would eventually shut off. During the entire time it would run it would continuosly beep. I am assuming it was in Guardian mode because it had very little power and I had to keep pushing the throttle up and down to get it to even move. After I docked it I noticed the alternator belt was destroyed. I am wondering if this belt has anything to do with the cooling as it seemed as though the engine was overheated. I am so worried I damaged the engine as I probably should have shut it down and got a tow back to shore. Any help concerning what is wrong would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty sure my engine is the 240 EFI mercury M2 jet drive. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the external alternator didn't come out until 2002 manufactured engines. (2003 model seadoo's)

Can you post a picture of your engine? Or post the serial number?

It's hard to say exactly what happened... but yes... the consent beep is an overheat alarm.

I would start by removing the spark plugs, and get a compression reading.

Somewhere when I was looking around and I can't remember where right now, there was a separation of motors as 2001 1/2. I am not sure what 1/2 really means when it comes to which month, but there are also indications that March 2001 is a key point.

I had an alternator belt shred on my 240 and since the engine is so sensitive to the required voltage you might be a victim of that, I remember the beep. My alternator had actually come apart inside, with the ball bearings locking the rotation of the alternator and parting the belt. The belt is Alternator Belt 57-828507Q10. It can be hard to find and it runs $55-$65. It is very simple to replace.

If you do need a new alternator I got one from Discount Starter And Alternator in Georgia for $104 #Mercury 857006T 875285T1 881248T. Put these numbers in ebay and the store will come up. The $104 includes shipping. Other prices will scare you. :willy_nilly:

Eddie

Somewhere when I was looking around and I can't remember where right now, there was a separation of motors as 2001 1/2. I am not sure what 1/2 really means when it comes to which month, but there are also indications that March 2001 is a key point.

Eddie

Just an FYI... my 2002 Islandia has the "Old" style 240 EFI engine in it. (engine manufactured 2001) If it has the 250 EFI... that would have had the external alt.

Now... with that said... I guess it's a moot point since we know that it "Threw a belt".

I also agree with RacerEddie. It could have just been a voltage issue. Check the alt, and replace if needed... and get a new belt on it. Then... let us know if the beeping goes away. (I'd still check compression just for personal knowledge)

I just checked the engine serial number. I found out it is OE395038. The O could be a D or a zero. I am so new to this. Sorry. I also found out the guy who sold it to me lied about the engine size. It is only a 200 hp motor and not the 240 like he had told me. Oh well. I just want it to run at this point. I do have some advice needed though. I was unable to get it to my floating dock because the engine kept shutting off. I am assuming because it was overheating, but it was making a grinding sound and the engine was buckling while it was turning over. Once it started it would run but beep would start and it would eventually cut off. It was really worrying me so we put it in another boat owner's slip for the time being. I have to move it ASAP and I was wondering if I drove it for 5-10 minutes without the belt just to get it either on my trailer to have it repaired or back on the floating dock that would cause any further damage. I am so grateful to have found this site and appreciate all the help offered. Thanks.

Hopefully all of your problems come from that belt. I've heard that voltage is critical on those fuel injected motors.

I ran your serial number through boats.net. It comes up as a 200 DFI motor. I've never heard of a 20' Challenger with a stock motor that small. Could be someone put that one in as a replacement.

Good Luck!

OK............ A break Though !!!

Now it's starting to make sense. You have "and air pump" because you have a 200 HP DFI engine. (not the 240 EFI) And... you have an external alt. So... your air pump is part of the fuel system. It raises the injector pressure to force feed fuel directly into the engine. The question is now... did the belt come off the air pump?

I ran your serial number through boats.net. It comes up as a 200 DFI motor. I've never heard of a 20' Challenger with a stock motor that small. Could be someone put that one in as a replacement.

Good Luck!

Yes.

As far as I know... all the 2.5l V-6 engines are swapable. You just need all the support stuff... and since the computer and ignition is bolted to the engine... it's a simple swap.

The belt is shredded. At least the one that was around the alternator. I am unsure how to put it on since it was already off when I found it. LOL I am not a complete idiot, but unless I can see how it was I am a little hesitant putting it back on. I did order a new belt from boats.net for $60.00 shipping included. I am worried as to why this belt became destroyed and if that is what caused the perfomance of the engine. I realize belts wear out and this one looks original. I am hoping from Dr Honda's latest post that my belt was bad and it shredded and caused the rest to go bad. Could I be that lucky and it is just a simple replacement? I am afraid to try and start it after how poorly it was running previously. I am so screwed because there is nooone near here that can look at it. A few local boat repair places, but unfortunately because my engine is a Merc the local seadoo dealership may not know how to fix it. Crazy too you would think since Mercury Marine has a major factory in FonduLac, WI there would be more repair places.

I don't have your motor so what I say is guessing. I'll bet you're going to have to pull the flywheel to get that belt back on.

The belt is shredded. At least the one that was around the alternator. I am unsure how to put it on since it was already off when I found it. LOL I am not a complete idiot, but unless I can see how it was I am a little hesitant putting it back on. I did order a new belt from boats.net for $60.00 shipping included.

Don't be hesitant with the belt. It will be one of the more simple things to go through. First take a close look at your alternator, spin the pully on the top and make sure it spins freely. From your alteranator look to the left and you should see another pulley with the same grooves or teeth that the pulley on the alternator has, this pulley is spring loaded and moves in for you to put the belt on and keeps tension on the belt once on. From the pulley the belt goes around the fly wheel, (remove your plastic cover) you will see the area for the belt on the flywheel, just above the teeth for the starter motor.

Here is a diagram, it is from the 240 but I presume the 200 is similar. The alternator belt is in redAlternator.jpeg

Eddie

Yes.

As far as I know... all the 2.5l V-6 engines are swapable. You just need all the support stuff... and since the computer and ignition is bolted to the engine... it's a simple swap.

It also seems that for each engine there is an adaptor plate to connect the powerhead to the M2 Jet pump. There are also different exhaust hook ups. So it is dooable but not just a drop in to replace a 210 with a 240 or a 240 with a 250.

Eddie

Well first of all I would like to thank everyone for all thier input. I am so glad thier is a place like this for green boaters such as myself. Well now the update. I just got back from a shop I had replace the belt. They informed me my crank is turned and that my connecting rods are also broke. That probably isn't correct, but let's just say a rebuild is in order. Ugh!! I got an initial price quote of 7200.00 for a new engine and a little under 4000.00 for a rebuild. Needless to say I don't have that kind of money laying around. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where I could possibly find a 240 engine either used or in need of a rebuild. While I don't expect this option to be cheaper I figure if I am going to replace the motor anyway I may as well get the engine I was told was in my boat when I purchased it originally. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank.

"your crank is turned"...??????????

What's that?

It sounds like you need to go somewhere else for a second opinion. Personally... I would check the compression on all 6 cyl's, and report back so we can get an idea of where we stand.

I am not sure I wrote that correctly. I am very bad when it comes to anything engine related. Anyway the guy I had look at it is kinda a friend who owns a boat shop and he is pretty experienced at what he does. He does admit to not having a lot of experience when it comes to my type of engine. He told me because of the way that Mercury designed the crankshaft that is is a difficult engine to rebuild. Something about it being sealed and having to get somoene to press the bearings on to it and then having it sealed which he says takes special equipment which he does not have.

Anyway I have found some links on Ebay and was hoping someone could verify these are compatible with my boat.

For a rebuild kit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-2-5L-Carb-EFI-V6-Powerhead-Rebuild-Kit-150-200-/380165887844

For a rebuilt engine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/320902570803?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If I bought the rebuilt engine would I be able to buy the 240 size and would all my existing parts work?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I'll be honest I have gotten more info from members on here then actually speaking to "experts" at shops around here.

I am definately down with donating to the site as I am very appreciative of all the help.

OK... if it's a buddy... I'm sure he's not out to screw you, so it was probably something lost in translation.

The Merc cranks are a conventional crank. you can take all the bearings off with normal hand tools, with the exception of the bottom bearing. But... a regular press will take it off. No special tools needed. What your buddy is thinking of is a Rotax crank. (Like the seadoo 2-strokes) Those cranks have to be fully pressed apart to change the parts. AND... even with the right tools.

As far as the rebuild kits... call or email the people before ordering to make sure it's the right one for your power head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back