2001 Challenger 2000 240EFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billboard

I will be pulling my motor (240EFI) tonight but there is no eyelets or hooks to attached to lift the motor? Any help here? And how does the worm gear set in there? When I start lifting what should I watch for?
Bill

Anytime I have to pull an engine that does not have lifting points I just find a good spot for a bolt, like an alternator bracket or something similar.

I have never had to pull one of these engines, but I would strongly recommend that you get a manual for this kind of job. I do have the manual for the Mercury and could try to walk you through it by reading out of the manual, but it would be better if you had your own. It makes it a lot easier if you have the pictures in the manual as a reference.

If you sign up for a premium membership for a month you can download one from the manual section.

Aaron:cheers:

Either the motor has siezed or the pump has siezed won't know which until the motors pulled. Not the way I really want to spend the beginning of boating season:(

I got a lift ring from the Mercury shop to pull mine. It screws in the middle of the flywheel. Pulling it out is not a big problem. Putting it back in is a different story. It isn't balanced well and is heavier toward the piston head side of the motor. You really have to work at balancing it correctly and getting it to slide back on to the mounting bolts without stripping the bolts.

Thanks for the info. Did you have a motor problem or pump? I have the 240efi and it sounded like a vacum when it stopped running, I was sure I sucked something up but not that lucky. I'm thinking and hoping it is a bearing (worm gear) or the shaft inside the pump. I got the motor up about an inch and can turn the flywheel by hand with no plugs so feel good about that. But will get an eye ring to lift completely out.
Thanks and happy boating...I should be ready by the 4th of Juy or thats what I'm telling my wife:hurray:
Bill

Motors out, pumps out, looks like the pinion is sieze up. Everything came out fairly easy. Now will tear into the pinion and shaft. Thanks for all your help, especialy Louis. I will need all your experience again soon...for the back togethter part.
Bill:cheers:

How do you think pinion became siezed? Isn't that in an oil bath and has water leaked in. Has the oil been changed on a regular basis?

The winter storage facility that has taken care of the boat since it was new didn't service the lower end like I thought they where. I will take the blame and will service the lower end myself from now on. This has taught me a valueable lesson. Here's to that old saying if you want something done right than do it yourself. But I always look for some good out of things like this and I'm learning a lot about a jet boat and how it runs. So its not a horablie experience I just have other things I would rather be doing...like boating!
Bill

That's ugly...at least you found the problem. Just to reply to your question earlier, my problem was definitely the motor. Threw a rod through the block. Had pieces of aluminum block all over the place.

I purchased the preimium membership, all I can say is awesome! This forum is also awesome! Can't wait to get the boat back in the water.:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back