2000 XP Gauge Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

nswillin

Premium Member
Premium Member
First time SeaDoo owner here and really confused. I just bought the ski knowing the speedo and VTS gauge was not working but the seller knocked off some of the price because of that. When I test drove it he told me it had very little gas in it so the gauge read empty. So I bought it and took it home and filled up with gas and whatta know the gas gauge doesn't work. The only gauge that works is the Tach. I noticed the little paddle wheel sensor thing on the back is missing the little wheel so that could be the prob with the speedo but it seems odd none of the gauges work except the tach. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the seadoo forum nswillin. I would first check all the fuses in the xp. It is possible that the fuses are blown. The fuel guage uses resistance from the 2 wires in the top of the fuel tank baffle. The Pink/Black and Pink wire sends a range of resistance to the guage depending on how much fuel is in the tank.Use the ohms settings on a multi meter and measure it at the connector at the tank. If no readings it is in the baffle unit. If you get resistance check continuity at the connector at the guage...same color wires. If it is the fuel baffel in the tank loosen the clamps and remove the tube. Undo the fuel lines, keep track of which one goes where for easy install later. In the baffle is a float with magnets. Pop the bottom off gently, and check the magnets. Either they are dirty or lost in the bottom of the tank. re-install them or clean them and check for resistance at the wires while sliding the float up and down...put it back together again when it works.If it won't work you have to replace it. If you get in a jam give us a shout...we'll get you back on track again.

Karl

Thanks for the help. I will try that tomorrow. I was looking at it today was wondering how I would get to the fuel tank. It's under the seat but it doesn't look like I can get to it even if I take the seat off. Any suggestions for the Trim gauge?

I would again check the fuses...the VTS(Variable Trim System) have a tendency to burn out... I believe it has 2 switches that get stuck too. The rocker switch you can check on the handle bar with a Multimeter too, check for continuity. When you ready to go further into the VTS unit give me a shout and I give you specifics to check it out.Do you have a seadoo service manual? Here is a idea. If you want you could join as a "premium member". As a premium member you can down load a authentic seadoo manual from the seadoo manual library. In the library is a variety of manuals for almost all years and models. You can view as many as you like on line as a PDF file, or download it and print it for your personal and privet use. There are operator manuals and repair manuals for you to do your own repairs on your seadoo. The repair manuals have everything from troubleshooting, repair procedures to winterizing. It contains wire diagrams torque specs and pictures for disassemble and assemble instructions. In the spec sheets it tells everything needed to maintain oil changes, spark plug gaps, carburetor rebuilds and impeller wear ring tolerances. Click on the "Seadoo Manuals" link at the top of the page for more details. If you need any help or get in a jam, we are always here to answer your questions too.

Karl

Thanks for the help. I checked the wires coming out of the fuel tank and I get nothing on the meter. I checked at the gauge and it seems to be fine. It seems almost impossible to get to the baffle without removing the engine and then sliding the whole gas tank out. If that is the only way then I'm just gonna let it be b/c I really dont wanna do that. Fuses are all good also. As far as the VTS, I checked the wires coming out of the gauge and their good so I'm kinda stuck there. Any ideas?

If you checked the wires at the tank, and got nothing, then it is in the baffle, in the fuel tank. I'll look to see if there is an easier way to remove the baffle. I'll also post some tests, a bit later tonight, on the VTS, so you can check it's operation.

Karl

NS, It seems if you take out the front storage basket, then the front air intake, then remove the steering assembly, you can get to the fuel baffle assy in the fuel tank. This according to the manual. Here is the VTS test for the motor and the module;
Always confirm that the fuse is in good condition. The7.5 amp fuse is in the MPEM module. Check the motor with a multimeter. Install the test probes on both the Blue/Orange and the Green/ Orange wires. Resistance should be close to 1.5 ohm.
If the motor seems to jam and it hasn’t reached the end of it’s stroke, the following test could be performed.
Remove the motor from the VTS. Manually rotate worm gear to verify the VTS for free operation. Connect it directly through a 15 amp fuse to a 12 volt battery. Connect wires one way, and then switch the polarity of the wires to see it work in the other direction. If it does run in both directions it could be the VTS module. If the VTS motor does not stop at the end of its stroke then the motor could be defective.

The VTS module receives it current from a 7.5 amp fuse in the MPEM.
Disconnect the Brown/Black wire and the Brown/White wire from the VTS module. Connect the probes of the multimeter to the 2 wires of the module. Push the start stop button to activate the MPEM timer,(gives power for 33 sec. without running engine). Push the VTS switch down position until motor stops. The ohm resistance reading should be 24 ohms+-1%. Push the switch button up until the motor stops and the resistance should be 167ohms+-1%. This test isn’t perfect but it should be close.

If you want you could join as a "premium member". As a premium member you can down load a authentic seadoo manual from the seadoo manual library. In the library is a variety of manuals for almost all years and models. You can view as many as you like on line as a PDF file, or download it and print it for your personal and privet use. There are operator manuals and repair manuals for you to do your own repairs on your seadoo. The repair manuals have everything from troubleshooting, repair procedures to winterizing. It contains wire diagrams torque specs and pictures for disassemble and assemble instructions. In the spec sheets it tells everything needed to maintain oil changes, spark plug gaps, carburetor rebuilds and impeller wear ring tolerances. Click on the "Seadoo Manuals" link at the top of the page for more details. If you need any help or get in a jam, we are always here to answer your questions too.

Karl

Thanks man. I pulled the seat off and there us an access plug in the hull where I can get to the baffle to replace it. The trim system works fine and I tested the gauge and its good. I was looking at the trim shaft today and it seems it has been broken at some point at the end sliding block that comes through the boot and connects to the ball joint and molding rod. Instead of replacing a $40 part he clamped a threaded rod to the the broken end and must of removed the ball joint and clamped the other end to the venturi. It almost looks like he tried to make it longer or something, I dont know but when the ski is running the gauge just stays all the way up but the trim still moves up and down with the button. If I replace the rigged up parts hopefully it will be right. Got a manual today and that thing is a god send.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back