2000 GSX Help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

I have a 2000 GSX that I bought this past summer and the speedometer doesn't work. Has anyone else out there experienced this and know how to fix it?

Also while I was on the lake 2 differen't times when I would first start it the orange light would blink and it would say service soon. But that would only stay on for about 5 seconds and the would go right off. The jet ski runs great. And these 2 times were seperate days. So I was just wondering if that was something to worry about or does the motor get a little loaded up and trigger a sensor everynow and then.

Thanks for any help I can get on these 2 issues.

Brent Hottle

Brent, Welcome to the seadoo forum. I'm not real familar with you model, so I looked in the manual, and as far as the spedo goes I would check the fuse that is in the mpem box. The manual isn't completely clear as the the fuses for your exact model, but there appears to be an accessory fuse that is 5amp. check that. I would check all the wireing connections and be sure all the plugs are connected tightly and not correded inside. I also looked at the possible code for the orange light but the manual says you might need a dealer to plug your doo into a diagnostic tool and look for codes. Your doo has a lot of sensors and it could be possible one is faulty, or in need of service, throwing the orange light. I would keep an eye on it. Im sure another owner might chime in on you problems and offer a helping suggestion.
Karl

Thanks for the help I don't know why I didn't think about checking the fuses. Pretty stupid of me. Thanks again

Speedo Inop

Hi Brent,
If the fuses all check good I would make sure the paddle wheel in the rear of the ski spins real easy and that the sensor that it's mounted to isn't cracked and the wires coming out of it aren't torn, etc.

Thanks, Dennis

All of the fuses checked out. And the paddle wheel on the back spins very freely. I chased the wires and they looked fine. I'm lost on what else it could be. Thanks

Premium Membership a must for problem solving

Here is a test for the speed sensor at the rear of the doo.
To check if the speed sensor is operational, disconnect the speed sensor housing from the inside bilge. There are 3 wires attached to the speed sensor.You will need 2 of the 3 wires to test the speed sensor. The black/orange is ground. The purple /yellow is the pulse. Using a multimeter connect the positive probe to the speed sensor PURPLE/YELLOW wire and the negative probe to the BLACK/ORANGE wire.
With the safety lanyard removed, depress the start/stop button to activate the timer. Slowly rotate the paddle wheel. Every 1/8 turn, the voltage should fluctuate between 5.5 and 8.5 Vdc. If you get this reading then the speed sensor is ok. Now check the wires going to the spedo and see if you get the same readings. If you do then the spedo unit itself could probably be bad.
On the back of the spedo Gage are 5 wires. The purple is the power+ the black is the ground- and the purple/yellow wire is the pulse going into the Gage.(the same test as the sensor)You will also have a purple wire, power+ from the spedo Gage going to the info center and a black ground-,from the spedo Gage going into the info center. These should check out. If you want more detailed info you could join as a premium member and have a copy of the manual and more details for the wiring. The seadooforum has a large library of authentic sea doo shop repair manuals. The manuals include detailed wire diagrams, and troubleshooting guides to help you solve your problem. Click on the "seadoo manual" link on the home page for more details. Let us know how you make out and if you need any more help.
Karl

thanks I have to leave today for a family function but when I get back on tuesday I will have time to check that out. Thanks again I will let you know how I make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back