2000 Challenger wont start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozman

when i try to start it, it simply "clicks". I can hear a clicking noise but it won't start. the starter is indeed spinning when I turn the key. I did notice that a small "fuse box?" about 1"wide x 1"deep x 2"tall on the opposite side of the starter was, i think, making this click noise. I've done the plugs earlier this season and had not had the slightest problem with starting it until now. with no warning either. I've put the battery on a charger to make sure it's good to go and it seems fine too. There is no beeping noises at all either. Just the starter spinning and this clicking noise coming from this "box". Too many nice days out lately and it just sitting in the driveway is just wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your motor EFi or Carburated? If it is the EFI, the clicking noise you hear is a fuel 'primer'. It should click like that for maybe ten seconds and then stop.

If there is no single beep when you have the safety cap on the lanyard switch and the key in the ignition, try washing the safety cap with warm soapy water, rinse it and dry it.

That's the first and easiest thing to try. Don't forget to say three hail mary's before you crank it.

Thanks for your response! It's the merc EFI engine. I'll clean the lanyard like you said, maybe that will help too. What is the fuel "primer" purpose? The clicking seems to be eminating from the "box" I attempted to describe. But you are right, it is only lasting for about 10 seconds. Sorry for the poor description of this small "box". Thanks again!

It charges the sytem with fuel. I'm not exactly sure but i believe it is from the fuel rail to the injectors.

The reason I mentioned the lanyard was because you aren't getting a beep. The lanyard connection has to be clean and solid. if you get a beep I bet it will start.

I've cleaned the lanyard like you had described. I now get the beep when turning the key......that's the good part. Bad part..... engine still wont start.

I just keep noticing that the starter is spinning when I've turned the key, but the pinion is not rising up from it's dormant position to engadge the ring gear on the flywheel. I can't seem to figure out why. Full of fuel, fully charged battery, lanyard securely attached and beeps, plenty of oil, everything seems to be in fine shape. Just the pinion on the starter wont rise and engadge the flywheel.

I don't get it. Maybe a fuse? Any ideas?

Sounds like you may need to do some starter work. The repair manual has a good section of tearing down and rebuilding the starter. If it's not rising up to engage the flywheel, sounds like something is seized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back