200 Seadoo Challenger Steering issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnO

Steering problem 2000 Seadoo Challenger with the m2 mercury motor.
First time I went out on the boat I cruised around under 20 getting use to it,right before it was time to head to the dock I went about 3/4 throttle and it took off and went fine.then after letting off the gas and returning to 3/4 throttle I noticed it veering left without me turning left.i compensated by turning a little right and it did t help.i slowed down and called it a day.next time I went out it did it again same thing only when going over 30mph.now the last time I went I started doing it at 20mph.so it’s getting worse.
The last time I went it was super windy and really choppy and I know the weather played some of a part but not all of it.
I had my wife turn the wheel while I looked and everything looked and sounded normal.
Any ideas on what it could be ?
I’ve read that nozzles could be doing it,or the actual cable could be messed up.Im more then willing to get my hands dirty and learn as I go but this is defiantly more then I know about this boat.it just makes me nervous because I take my family on this boat and I don’t want to scare them or mess up what we bought for fun.
And I do know on previous post that I’ve asked questions that I don’t reply,it’s only because I’m running outside to try what you guys tell me.please don’t take any disrespect.
I wouldn’t ask if I didn’t respect your opinions.
Thank you again

FWIW my Challenger does the same thing. It has a tendency to turn left and I just compensate. From what I understand that is somewhat normal (to a point). If if is really excessive than that may be a different story. I take into consideration that I weight 230 lbs and my wife is 110 soaking wet. So that is a considerable more amount of weight on one side, and take into the rotation of the jet thrust coming out. My other boat with a standard outboard does the same thing. (Rotation of the prop). I guess it is possible that the nozzle could be misaligned. I would probably measure each side of the nozzle to the stern.

But with the weight difference,aren’t you on the right side of the boat driving ?wouldnt that make it pull right ?
I guess I’ll add sandbags on the left side haha

I just did a quick search. Maybe these links will help some. I just never paid that much attention to it, maybe I should read them too. LOL

Steering issues

2000 Sportster 1800 still pulling hard to the left. Anybody out there?

2001 utopia not turning right.
The boat "not turning" One Direction or the other sounds like a different issue than a boat that "pulls" to the left or right. By the way, I have discovered that when I load an extra passenger on the port side, the pull to the left almost completely goes away.

I have a Utopia 205 and have the same problem. I tried installing smart tabs and they did not take care of the problem. I should have known that they would only correct a list or improve time to plane. I checked the jet nozzle and it has a full range of motion so it's not the steering. What I did notice is that when I trade places with my wife the problem of pulling left is almost none existent. (I weigh 240 and my wife is half of that). So now i am thinking of adding ballast on the passenger side when I am driving which is most of the time. Thinking of putting a water bladder tank in the left storage area or does anyone have a better idea. I need 130 lbs. ballast.

If your battery is on the starboard side, switching it to Port would give you about 120lb net swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back