2 engines needed ever heard of these guys????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rkboyer911

Hey All I have rebuilt my engines without a good outcome. So I'm going to possibly get a remanufactured from 5 Star Services LLC out of Clarkston MI there 800.00 + S/H each plus I have to ship my core to them 1st.(95.00/ea)) So Ill have about 2200 bucks in the 2 motors with shipping and all..... they come with an unconditional 1 year warranty.. They have a good rating on flea bay. Any thoughts?? Thanks...I had not ever rebuilt an boat engine before and the last motors didn't last 2 hours. I got into the boat cheap so If i can get it up and going so I can use it this year and maybe upgrade to bigger next year possibly. Thanks

its about the best I can find so far for the 787 carb motors.

SES had been very slow with some members and had issues with others.

If I remember correctly it is time not his quality of work that is the issue.
There is also FullBore that is good.
If you need them fast and with a warranty there is also SBT. But you get an engine off the shelf not your engine back like the other two.

This time of year I wouldn't be surprised if they are all slow on return. Season is kicking in.

Make sure you search the 2stroke forum for "The truth about SES" that should tell you what kind of company it is.

I just got 2 more 787s back from SES a little over a week ago for my speedster and everything looks good. At this time of year you will have to call and get an idea on turn around time no matter who you go with.

I had someone bring me a 5 star engine once (he was DONE with working on the ski and was ready to throw it off of a cliff)
Story goes, he bought the ski with the 5 star engine that wasn't installed.. installed the engine, hooked it all up, started it, and it ran for about 15 seconds.. clunked and died.
He brought it down to me to go through it and see what was up.. the RV gear was all chewed up and the RV shaft was way out of tolerance.
There was also an old circlip and needle bearing in the case, top case was a 96, lower was 95.
This was my only experience with them..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey All I have rebuilt my engines without a good outcome. So I'm going to possibly get a remanufactured from 5 Star Services LLC out of Clarkston MI there 800.00 + S/H each plus I have to ship my core to them 1st.(95.00/ea)) So Ill have about 2200 bucks in the 2 motors with shipping and all..... they come with an unconditional 1 year warranty.. They have a good rating on flea bay. Any thoughts?? Thanks...I had not ever rebuilt an boat engine before and the last motors didn't last 2 hours. I got into the boat cheap so If i can get it up and going so I can use it this year and maybe upgrade to bigger next year possibly. Thanks

ses never rebuilt a motor for me 3 times I finally took it apart to see why I was leaning a piston out and he was rebuilding the motor with a twisted crank shaft WTF

full bore is the way to go he has helped me many times quality people

I called SES he told me if i ordered the motor yesterday he would have it back to me AT BEST May 30th.
Ill look at full bore and see what there prices are.

We used full bore about 10 years back and had a great experience.

I'm going to try out 5 star. I talked with the guys and he's CRAZY NICE and super helpful. We will see how things go. He seems like a stand up guy!! He got my motor today and said he will have me one rebuilt and shipped by monday. then ill take the other one out. and send it to him.

Over the last 5 years, have had 3 951s rebuilt by SES. One broke a rod a few months after the 2 year warranty ran out. Tom offered to fix it for his cost. I sent him that engine and another - asked him to rebuild the broken one as a Premium 2 year warranty job and the other one as a standard 1 year warranty rebuild. He provided a 2 year warranty on both but only charged me Premium pricing on one and didn't charge me shipping on either one. The broken rod damaged my case, but when it came back the welding, I thought, was clean and solid (let me stress that I am not a welder). True, he does sometime take longer than he estimates, but he has treated me very well and the motors seem to run just fine.

That being said, I have also developed a great deal of respect for Nick at Westside. In the business I have done with him he has been very honest, dependable and sends exactly what he says and usually a little more. So, I also have to consider what Nick posted about his dealing with SES.

Bottom line: I'm in central Alabama and the closest source I know of for an engine is SBT and based on everything I've read on this and other forums, they are not an option for me. So, unless I want to try and rebuild one myself, I'm between a rock and a hard place.

I got 2 top end kits for my 717's from 5 Star last year. No complaints and Mel was very helpful. I had some stupid questions and he took the time to answer them. When the time comes I'll use him again.

Got my 2nd engine in the boat about 2 days ago. Im waiting on an o-ring that I needed (for the rotary gear plate) over all looks good so far.....I got the motors from 5 star Mel is a great guy...the motors are 2 different colors for some unknown reason.....1 white 1 silver..... but oh well as soon as I get the ring and 2 new batteries Ill be on the water. still trying to decide what batteries to go with.....

I just went with two of the wal-mart marine 24 sized deep cycle batteries. I have had one in a little fishing boat with trolling motor for 5 years and it's still going strong.

motors ran like a top!! smoking like crazy when at idle but Id rather have that than to be to lean!! I'm running about 3 oz per gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back