1999 Yamaha XL Limited

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
A guy brought me a 1999 1200 XL Limited. One look at this thing and I don't even want to work on it. I like Seadoos. However, to help him out I said I would take a look. Clearly it is not getting fuel. The engine turns over very well. What chaps me up is you have to pull the exhaust to get at anything on this ski. Judging from condition, I would think it is something fairly simple but you never know. I would appreciate a little direction on this? I actually began removing the exhaust but quit and put it back together. :D :D The power valves are cycling and I am getting good fire. He said he was riding it shut it off and it would not restart.

The real problem with Yamaha was they jumped on the TC-w3 bandwagon to look "Green". The 1200 Yamaha engine DOESN'T like it. I know you think it's a fuel issue... but I'm guessing if you check the compression... you will find a dead cyl.

Compression 120 psi on the low cylinder 130 on the other two. Glad you asked me to check. Got water shooting out of the cylinders. My guess is the ski was towed. What is the best way to remedy this? How much work is it? Help is always appreciated.

I still think the ski has a fuel issue. Sure wish I could get to something without pulling the exhaust. Question... what is the best way to separate the exhaust. I like breaking the fit at the exhaust manifold NOT the large flange on the right side. What is the best way??

You won’t get a good compression reading with water in the cylinders. With one 10 psi low there is a problem. More than just fuel.

OK.... How do the carbs come off this thing? I pulled all the bolts that I see and one bracket bolt up front. Still tight as a drum. Please don't tell me I have to pull all those screws... say it ain't so !!

The carbs are mounted to a plate and bolted on the underside of that plate. You need to remove all the bolts securing the plate to the intake and take it off as 1 unit..

I did get the ski started before I pulled the carbs. It was difficult and would not idle. it would revv and drop down and need a lot of throttle play to keep running. Carb filters look clean, no junk in the carbs. I suppose I could have some issues from the tank to the carb but supposedly they were riding the ski. I can't be sure.

Nothing is jumping out at me. I was hoping I'd see something wrong with the reed valves but they look good. When I push on them they have a bit of resistance and a little pop when they open. This is not enough to make me want to remove them for closer inspection. I'm wondering about the lines in this pump diaphragm ( see picture)Yamaha XL1200 Carb pump.jpeg. Doesn't seem to be leaking and there is a bit of water in there. I checked the carbs on 1 and 2 so far. This is number 2. Seems to me that the accelerator pump is working but I'll check number 3 tomorrow.

My next trick will be how to start the ski with all the crap off of it. It's looking for readings from probes and such. I may get to use my nifty fuel bottle I bought.

If there is water in that part of the carb then the engine was full of water and they cranked it pushing it through the pulse line into the fuel pump.

I would still be concerned with the 10 psi lower cylinder too.

This is just a get it running kinda job. It'll run. :) I found a big enough problem for the fuel issue to maybe go away. When people tell you the ski was running and you know better. The needle was stuck on the #3 feed cylinder carb. Hole in the diaphragm, varnish, check valve was stuck. Don't know much about the Yamahas but I would imagine the accelerator pump was not getting fuel to it either. I think I'm gonna stick with this today and get it ready to run. Gonna be interesting. I don't like workin on this ski very much at all. This may well be my last Yamaha,

Oh well... failed the water test. I had to get it out there though. Things you just can't tell on the trailer. I'm not getting fire to number 1 cylinder... it's dead. Any thoughts ?? Help is appreciated.

No Spark at all on number 1 cylinder. Trying to come up with a why. Does it have a limp mode or something.

Well I fixed the number one cylinder not firing now I got number 3 not firing. I pull the spark plug wire off when the ski is running and no difference in performance. However... when the ski is cold started it runs great for about 5 minutes. I'm wondering if the computer is sensing High temp or something. I'm about to call my friend and tell him come get this thing. Unbelieveable to work on. Can't even see anything. Help would be appreciated and hope that whatever it is is on the TOP where I can find it.

I had a SUV similar to that. Sounds like a bad ground to me. Electrical current flows easier when the wires are cold, when they warm up there is more resistance so maybe that's why it doesn't want to run well after 5 minutes. Hope it's not the stator going bad.

The stator wouldn't cause just 1 plug to go bad. I would check all connectors but it could be a coil going.

It switched plugs too. #1 was out and then #3 was out. And that ski has 3 separate coils so why it would switch from 1 plug to another going out is real strange. Sounds like a bad ground. 2 coils are starting to fail at the same time? Metal shavings on the flywheel makes the most sense or a bad ground to the electrical box.

plug wire on number one was the issue. Number one is fine now. I replaced the coil on number 3. No change. I'm thinking fuel now. I'm not gonna go into this ski any more. Too much of a pain for free. LOL LIke my seaDoos !!!! Hell on it !!

Thanks for the input guys. I was reading about these skis having this type of issue. Runs great for 200 yards that crap. Still does 35mph and 5k rpm on two cylinders. Boy o boy when it launches you better hang on !!

Well if not a spark issue it's the fuel. The 120 and 130 compression isn't perfect but ok as it's within 10%. Sounds like the carbs or an off chance the fuel check valve on the gas tank. I've seen that a couple times. It will go like mad and then bog and die it you hole the throttle. The get clogged and don't let air into the gas tank so the gas doesn't come out of the tank as much as it needs to. You could unplug it and go for a ride or loosen the gas cap and try it - just don't roll it over.

Sounds like what it is doing Definitely the #3 cylinder though. I hate pulling those pipes. If it'd be a Seadoo no problem. I'm a SeaDoo kinda guy. LOL For the small fee I'm charging him.... I'm done with this ski. I got lots to do. I figure I'll let him play with it.

That ski is less fun working on than a 951. No room anywhere and the carb set up is from the 1980's the way it bolts on. Your compression isn't ideal but it should run just fine with 120, 130 and 130. A 10% difference in the compression if acceptable in Kawasakis and Yamahas as they aren't punched out from the factory like a Sea Doo. If it's not the fuel tank check valve or fuel pump and you put a new coil in #3 and it still doesn't have spark (are you sure #3 doesn't have spark?) it could be the cdi box.

If you keep going on this and think that cylinder is dead you need to see if it has spark or not and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back