1999 Yamaha XL Limited

etemplet

Water Crafts
1996 SPI, 1996 GTX, 1997 GTX
A guy brought me a 1999 1200 XL Limited. One look at this thing and I don't even want to work on it. I like Seadoos. However, to help him out I said I would take a look. Clearly it is not getting fuel. The engine turns over very well. What chaps me up is you have to pull the exhaust to get at anything on this ski. Judging from condition, I would think it is something fairly simple but you never know. I would appreciate a little direction on this? I actually began removing the exhaust but quit and put it back together. :D :D The power valves are cycling and I am getting good fire. He said he was riding it shut it off and it would not restart.

Dr Honda

Staff member
Water Crafts
'00 Polaris Genesis
'96 XP800
'02 Islandia 240 EFI
The real problem with Yamaha was they jumped on the TC-w3 bandwagon to look "Green". The 1200 Yamaha engine DOESN'T like it. I know you think it's a fuel issue... but I'm guessing if you check the compression... you will find a dead cyl.

etemplet

Water Crafts
Compression 120 psi on the low cylinder 130 on the other two. Glad you asked me to check. Got water shooting out of the cylinders. My guess is the ski was towed. What is the best way to remedy this? How much work is it? Help is always appreciated.

etemplet

Water Crafts
I still think the ski has a fuel issue. Sure wish I could get to something without pulling the exhaust. Question... what is the best way to separate the exhaust. I like breaking the fit at the exhaust manifold NOT the large flange on the right side. What is the best way??

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1997 GSX
1996 XP
1996 HX
1996 SPX
01' Superjet
You won’t get a good compression reading with water in the cylinders. With one 10 psi low there is a problem. More than just fuel.

etemplet

Water Crafts
OK.... How do the carbs come off this thing? I pulled all the bolts that I see and one bracket bolt up front. Still tight as a drum. Please don't tell me I have to pull all those screws... say it ain't so !!

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1997 GSX
1996 XP
1996 HX
1996 SPX
01' Superjet
The carbs are mounted to a plate and bolted on the underside of that plate. You need to remove all the bolts securing the plate to the intake and take it off as 1 unit..

etemplet

Water Crafts
I did get the ski started before I pulled the carbs. It was difficult and would not idle. it would revv and drop down and need a lot of throttle play to keep running. Carb filters look clean, no junk in the carbs. I suppose I could have some issues from the tank to the carb but supposedly they were riding the ski. I can't be sure.

Nothing is jumping out at me. I was hoping I'd see something wrong with the reed valves but they look good. When I push on them they have a bit of resistance and a little pop when they open. This is not enough to make me want to remove them for closer inspection. I'm wondering about the lines in this pump diaphragm ( see picture) Yamaha XL1200 Carb pump.jpeg . Doesn't seem to be leaking and there is a bit of water in there. I checked the carbs on 1 and 2 so far. This is number 2. Seems to me that the accelerator pump is working but I'll check number 3 tomorrow.

My next trick will be how to start the ski with all the crap off of it. It's looking for readings from probes and such. I may get to use my nifty fuel bottle I bought.

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1997 GSX
1996 XP
1996 HX
1996 SPX
01' Superjet
If there is water in that part of the carb then the engine was full of water and they cranked it pushing it through the pulse line into the fuel pump.

I would still be concerned with the 10 psi lower cylinder too.

etemplet

Water Crafts
This is just a get it running kinda job. It'll run. :) I found a big enough problem for the fuel issue to maybe go away. When people tell you the ski was running and you know better. The needle was stuck on the #3 feed cylinder carb. Hole in the diaphragm, varnish, check valve was stuck. Don't know much about the Yamahas but I would imagine the accelerator pump was not getting fuel to it either. I think I'm gonna stick with this today and get it ready to run. Gonna be interesting. I don't like workin on this ski very much at all. This may well be my last Yamaha,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:11)

Adsense

Latest posts

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member