1999 GTX-RFI Jetpump locks up after torqueing housing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kgeorge45

I just replaced the wear ring, checked the bearings and repalced the oil. Installed a new neoprene seal on pump mount housing and bolted up the pump. Could not turn pump by hand or with wrench. Removed pump checked and it would turn freely when unbolted. I put a light up into the intake and watched the vanes on the pump while torquing and noticed the sides of the housing closed in when torquing it down. The sides that have clearance when unbolted are touching the vanes when torqued. Is this normal? It didn't have a neoprene seal when I disassembled the pump, could this be the reason? The 99 Seadoo manual shows the seal only on the SPX model. I could try it without the seal, but will probably ruin the seal taking it out. Just wanted to verify before I cut this seal out. The first two pictures show the clearance with loose bolts, the next two are with tighten bolts, not even torqued to spec.
20220115_172210.jpg20220115_172216.jpg20220115_172253.jpg20220115_172258.jpg

It was an aftermarket wear ring, could it be weaker than an OEM ring, to the point it becomes oval when tightening down the pump to the shoe?

Replaced the wear ring with a Delrin ring, still hits the impeller after torquing the pump down but not as bad. I would think the housing should maintain roundness after bolting it to the pump plate? Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back