1999 gtx limited need info on best way to get more top end

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a slippery slope. Insert all the internet forum go to's sayings. There maybe things I'm unaware of on these machines, but that doesn't make them any different to other similar machines. That said, cheapest and easiest option for you is prop changes. You can swap impellers but one with more top end is going to lose most fun parts down low and mid range. It's always a give and take.

Beyond that everything is going to be power mods, more power to get higher RPM to the impeller. Shaved head, base gaskets etc to raise compression, big bore engine builds, aftermarket pipes etc etc. And of course less reliability. Go search the race forums for old 2 stroke skis.

With all that said, if you want only a little more......I suggest a possible lowering of standards.

First off, is your ski running properly? Top rpm should be at least 6800. Some people have said the solas concord 15/20 is good for 1 mph or so faster, there is also the 97.5 gsxl white pipe and manifold, might get you extra 1 or so mph aswell. but if you want more than that your talking pipes, head, porting. Relibility will go way down the more modded out you go.

Yes it is running correctly 6810 RPM. A newer sea Doo passed me last weekend and rather than going out and purchasing a new ski the thought crossed my mind to explore the possibility of upgrading performance this winter. Getting outrun sucks in my opinion and yes I realize I have an older 3seater as well.

Easiest performance mod is a new ski. You are asking for trouble modifying your 951 and it will never be faster than a new 4-stroke. Enjoy it for what it is.

What is your current top end GPS speed ?? I find in my area the GTXs run about 55mph on the GPS and that is plenty fast enough for this Motorcycle Road Racer. I don't think You'll physically notice another 2 or 3mph. I find the 951has plenty of grunt and keeps pulling past the 787s top speed. Even the RXs are not much faster than the GTXs. To get fast enought to physically notice a difference it would be better to get a faster ski as @mikidymac suggests. Good Luck !!

Whoooo yea let's keep this ski in good condition I was just wondering. Sounds like a new toy is in the future

Lol it's already put in my budget plans. The coved price crunch will eventually calm down and until then I'll just go slow and ride on everything that doesn't have payments.

Seriously though cheap small increases can come from maintaining the pump and making sure there aren't any gaps in the ride plate

What is your current top end GPS speed ?? I find in my area the GTXs run about 55mph on the GPS and that is plenty fast enough for this Motorcycle Road Racer. I don't think You'll physically notice another 2 or 3mph. I find the 951has plenty of grunt and keeps pulling past the 787s top speed. Even the RXs are not much faster than the GTXs. To get fast enought to physically notice a difference it would be better to get a faster ski as @mikidymac suggests. Good Luck !!
You gave me a thought can you modify a street bike engine to work in a jet ski? Hmmm. I'm a machinist and I know some welders and mechanics long shot I know.

You gave me a thought can you modify a street bike engine to work in a jet ski? Hmmm. I'm a machinist and I know some welders and mechanics long shot I know.
There is a video of a jet ski with a Hayabusa engine in it. LOL Do a search you'll love it. I wanted to put a Harley engine in a ski but that would be a real chore.

Ma
There is a video of a jet ski with a Hayabusa engine in it. LOL Do a search you'll love it. I wanted to put a Harley engine in a ski but that would be a real chore.
A Harley engine would be sweet and sound great on the water but I'm not swapping engines in my toys. I'll check out that Hayabusa jet ski though thx

put ram air on the front and and a exhaust fan out the back. Have you ever sat in traffic on a Harley? They get hot sometimes. There's liquid cooled Harleys as well. Nice thought but I'm not getting involved in that much of a project at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back