1999 GTX 951 No Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjkk1702

Picked up this ski recently with a stripped starter and bendix. Replaced both of those as well as rebuilding the carb and replacing all the gray fuel lines. Admittedly I used a cheap rebuild kit, but after doing research trying to solve my issue I’ve ordered an OEM kit and will be redoing them. The carb was terrible, worst I have personally ever seen. While I am newer to PWC I have a lot of experience with 2 stroke snowmobile engines. The problem I’m having is that the plugs are soaking wet in what appears to be oil. I can pull plugs and add a small amount(2.5 mL) of gas and it will fire for a small amount of time. Spark looks strong as well. Oil pump lines are matched up. Could it be I’m not getting any gas and it’s just oil coating the plugs? Or it is possible the PO with how bad the carbs were continuously cranking flooded the case with oil and it just all needs to burn out? Looking for suggestions. Manual and carb kit will be here next week. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 4CE6B53D-88D6-457B-BAC3-D080F7E09DE2.jpeg
    4CE6B53D-88D6-457B-BAC3-D080F7E09DE2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Also, with my harbor freight compression tester both cylinders where at 120 which means the are both in the 135-140 range.

What plugs are you running?

The harbor freight gauges are junk and will give false readings.

What plugs are you running?

The harbor freight gauges are junk and will give false readings.
I’ve found the harbor freight gauge to be precise but not accurate lol so I’m pretty confident in that ballpark number. I’m running br9es plugs

Yes. If you have an O’rileys go ask for NGK 3961. They are a BR8ES but have a solid top so that stupid little aluminum piece on top doesn’t always come loose.

Update. Pulled carb and where the pulse line connects was full of oil from crankcase. Upon servicing motor I noticed both rave boots where not setup correctly and off their bottom seats so they were not working properly. With raves not operating correctly there is oil everywhere, which includes the crankcase. So I’m guessing my carbs aren’t operating correctly with oil coming into the pulse line to the carb. Is there any way to drain crankcase on these 951 motors without taking motor apart? Pretty sure with a vacuum and like 1/4” hose I could run through the ports into the bottom if I pull the head? Any suggestions? I’d imagine it would burn out if I get get carb to work without pulse line hooked up if there’s anyway way to do that? Rebuilding carb with oem parts and doing a pop off test now.

Got it running. I had 1/4” line left over from replacing fuel lines so I cut a longer line for the pulse line and put a filter in the middle in an effort to keep oil out of diaphragm in the carb. It worked. Got it started and running well enough to burn out most of what was in there. Now to get it on the water and burn the rest out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back