1999 GSX RFI temporary engine seizing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timm099

I have a 99 GSX RFI. When I took it out for the first time, and I stopped to talk to my buddy and I turned the ski off. When I went to restart it, it sounded like it had a bad starter. Just clicked. Got it back to the dock and tried to turn the driveshaft and it was seized. Using some channel locks and some significant pressure, I got it to turn. Then it started up and I rode it hard for a few hours with no trouble. The other day, it happened again on the trailer after running for 5 seconds, turning off, then going to restart. Broke it loose with channel locks and it started fine again. Any ideas what is seizing up?

But why would it seize up even after running for a few seconds and then minutes later, after being freed, it runs fine for hours?

It will happen on a trailer without a hose hooked up. Only running for a few seconds and trying to restart

That sounds more likely than a bearing seizing up when the engine is off. I'll look into it. Thank you.

If you do find it to be the starter DO NOT buy one of the $99 black aftermarket pieces of junk.
If yours is a factory starter Nipon Denso "ND" will be stamped on the front. Then you can get a good used bendix from Nick minnetonka4me here. And throw in new brushes for $16 on ebay.

After looking around a little bit, I found the bolt that secures the bracket on the non-business end of the starter to the engine was missing and it is a replacement starter. It is black in color and looks fairly new. Only had the ski for a few months. Is this a common failure of the aftermarket starters? Would you guys recommend a used OEM starter or a aftermarket such as SBT? Thanks guys

eBay an Oem starter and put new brushes in it. Previous owner prob threw away a good Oem starter cause the brushes were worn out.

I read the post at the top and thought "starter" and I bet he is giving a weak starter a leg up by getting over the hump at what ever part of compression it was in.

Then I read all the way to the bottom and yall had figured it out lol that was good.

It is not just the compression stroke. It locks up. It takes probably 80-100 lbs of pressure to overcome the seize. I'm an automotive mechanic professionally.

When i removed the old starter it is a very clean Denso part. The sticker wasnt visible when it was installed. The teeth on the starter and flywheel look rough. Id bet that the last owner had a cheap starter on it and ruined the flywheel teeth, then put a good starter on it and still had an issue. Should the engine be removed to properly clean up the teeth?

You will need a new flywheel as you can't just clean up the teeth.
THe motor doesn't have to be removed but you will need to align the engine because the front engine mount is on the flywheel cover. You also need to order the correct puller tool.

Bench test the starter to make sure it is engaging and retracting smoothly. The rough teeth are a sign of a starter hanging up.

I've removed the flywheel and it's pretty messed up and I've ordered a new one. The starter that was on it looks like a recently replaced Denso starter. I put brushes in it just in case but I think the previously owner replaced it and still had this issue and then sold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back