1999 GSX Limited blowing 15 amp rear fuse AGAIN!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazdo2

Please I am desperate. I keep blowing the rear 15 amp fuse. Replaced stator cause I found a short in it. Ran for a few hours same problem. No short in stator now. Cleaned it perfectly due to being told metal chips and filings can do this. None after cleaning. Told water in instrument panel, nothing. Can run for 5 minutes or 1 hour before blowing fuse. I went as far as measuring radial play of crank thinking maybe the stator is hitting the flywheel. Nothing. I am desperate here and need help. My buddies 951 doing the same thing with all of the above cleaning and testing done. Cant take it anymore contemplating a real marine fire to deep six this thing!

When the 15amp blows, the current is pre-maturely grounding, and 99.9% of the
time, metal bits from Starter/Flywheel are grounding in the Stator houseing. You
had this problem before and fixed the symptoms, so take a closer look at the Cause.
Re-check the torque of the bolts/screws, feel for and sharp edges on lighting & generating coils, remove the Starter and inspect the brushes, and especially the
Bendix. The small roller bearings ends break at the edges, and these small bits are
case hardened. Bills86e

rectifier

this could also be the rectifier... i had a '02 XP not charging.

You can check the stator on the ski, provided you can get a test meter to the wires...

my dealer only charged 15 min to test mine, the tool was $60... bill at dealer for a definitive yes/no was $20.00

Basically you check the resistance of the stator, mine was shot.

However, you also need to check your rectifier. it takes the 150 (ish?) A/C of the stator down to the 14v (DC) your ski uses... if it goes bad it can be putting out too much current, blowing your fuses.

very simple test. start the ski on land, run engine to 3 grand. check the voltage at the battery terminals, should be 13-15v.

if it's more, then i'd suspect the rectifier.

this is all outlined in the shop manual pdf, which is on dozens of sites...

since the rectifier is built into the $900 MPEM, i'd look into the aftermarket bolt on ones? $200ish? I found them on a web site, when my ski wasn't charging. I narrowed it down to the stator or rectifier... (it was the stator).

Those metal chips you found most likely came from broken reduction gear (bendix) teeth. Remove it an inspect it.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back