1998 xp vs 1997 xp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

murray1886

I've got a 98xp that I picked up for next to nothing but it needs a rebuild. I've never driven one but I do have a 97xp and a 03 rxdi. How do they compare?

Ehh, the 98 i believe had the 951 engine, so it should be faster by a few mph at least, my 97 xp hits about 54-55 on glass water, i would bet the 98 could hit closer to 60... besides that they should be pretty much the same...

Ehh, the 98 i believe had the 951 engine, so it should be faster by a few mph at least, my 97 xp hits about 54-55 on glass water, i would bet the 98 could hit closer to 60... besides that they should be pretty much the same...

yes, the 98 has the 951engine. just wondering if its a noticeably large increase in performance over the 97, and how it compares in performance to the rxdi, which also has a 951

great thread! same questions I've been thinking about. whats the performance difference 787 vs 951 stock getting to 55mph? very noticeable? what light mods can be done to the 97 xp 787 to make it close to equivalent to the 951 xp without making the 787 too unreliable?

Anything you do out aftermarket on the ski will make it more unreliable than stock, it's just the way it works... I would just leave it be and call 55mph good

thanks, that makes sense, so is there very much noticeable difference 787 vs 951 (hole shot-mid torque) getting to 55 mph? would it be enough to say wow! what a difference? i know the 951 isn't as reliable as the 787 and am looking for wow factor when i buy a stock ski so if the 951 has the wow factor, then i will keep my sights on the 951. thanks... sorry, i hope im not hijacking

i have a 98xpl.my buddy has a 97xp,ours will walk the 97xp,big time! pisses him off.i also get better gas consumption for some reason,i can ride a few more hours the he can before refilling. they both handle about the same.

i have a 98xpl.my buddy has a 97xp,ours will walk the 97xp,big time! pisses him off.i also get better gas consumption for some reason,i can ride a few more hours the he can before refilling. they both handle about the same.
Just the answer I was looking for! now is it just out of the hole that you smoke him... or all the way through?

pretty much all the way through,but like cr said,,the 97xp is no slouch! still way fast!
my 98 xpl will make ur cheeks flap! my kids get a kick out of it!
both are fast enough to get flopped off n hurt.and when it happens,its quik!

The 97 has a bit smaller tank, 11.9 vs 13 iirc. The 98 will be same power but more nimble than the rxdi.

The 97 has a bit smaller tank, 11.9 vs 13 iirc. The 98 will be same power but more nimble than the rxdi.

does the xp have more hole shot or upper end than the di? I assume it pretty much handles like the 97xp? or were there variations in the hull/pump/ or the increased engine weight that make it ride better in chop/ turn harder etc?

does the xp have more hole shot or upper end than the di? I assume it pretty much handles like the 97xp? or were there variations in the hull/pump/ or the increased engine weight that make it ride better in chop/ turn harder etc?
i haven't ridden either one but i would assume that being that the xp is lighter may have somewhat better hole shot than the rx.
its been 9 years since I've owned a ski which was a 97 gsx, after 5 years i found myself wanting more of a challenge and always wanted to try a xpl but never had an opportunity, been searching for a new ski and have my sights on a gsxl, xpl or rx with the rx being a pretty sexy ski. im pretty sure the rx will handle much like the gsx but with more power but the xpl would seem to be more playful. decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back