1998 Seadoo Speedster project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is that since the cyls look good other than the minor rust should I be able to pull the top end for a good hone and new rings and expect to achieve 150psi in each?

I think regardless I'll still use both new rebuilt engines but would be nice to have 2 more runners sitting on the bench for other projects.
[MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Well with 8,000 hours what about the crank?
Easily good to 15k...

But from what I can see in the intake there is no crank rust. Obviously I'd tear down to investigate. This engine would go in a flip ski most likely if I can save it cheaply.

Yeah its in TN, Im lookin for a flip ski. I could probably drive to the edge of the state in the wifes crv and not burn a bunch of profit in diesel

Today I drove over to IL and picked up the parts speedster I bought at an auto auction.

It didn't have a trailer so rather than deal with moving mine off and back on without damaging it I found a roller trailer on CL. It was 20 min from [MENTION=71213]glsmohio[/MENTION] so he was gracious enough to go haggle and pick it up for $250. We met half way Sunday morning to swap the trailer for a bunch of parts he wanted. Thanks again Scott!

The trailer was pretty decent for the price. I had to put some cheap lights on but luckily the wiring was all good. I lifted each wheel and spun them and the bearings seemed smooth so a few pumps of grease and off I went.

I knew this was a gamble being an insurance auction, but pics showed a minty interior so that hooked me. I pulled in, signed the paperwork and they brought right out on a huge loader with 20' forks and sat it right on the trailer.

Initial inspection not so great. I think it's been sitting for about 4 years in the sun as the interior wasn't great. It's not horrible but about on par with what I've already got. I checked mpem with my programmer and got it to register then the batteries immediately died in the programmer. I then checked the engines and could hear water in them which was a bummer.

I strapped it down and headed home where I could dig into it more. At home tests Confirmed water in both engines but after programming a new key they both spun over and had spark, so I knew I at least had my investment covered. The best part is its a newish mpem from 2008.

Pulled the big hub pumps and one is minty and the other ate a rock so has some vein chips but not horrible. Someone swapped an impeller though, so one correct swirl and one off of a ski it looks like.

Overall I got more than my money's worth but was hoping for at least 1 engine being a runner. I'll finish parting it this week and haul her to the dump. I don't even have to feel guilty as its hit something big at speed so the bottom of the hull is messed up. From the lines I think it sat in 2' of water for a bit, so some idiot probably hit a sand bar or something.

Hope to get this thing out of the way by the weekend and get back to working on the keeper.

Trailer was a bit overkill but will be back for sale as soon as I'm done. The boat in the first pic is the keeper.
202.jpg

203.jpg

204.jpg
205.jpg
206.jpg

207.jpg
208.jpg

today i drove over to il and picked up the parts speedster i bought at an auto auction.

It didn't have a trailer so rather than deal with moving mine off and back on without damaging it i found a roller trailer on cl. It was 20 min from [mention=71213]glsmohio[/mention] so he was gracious enough to go haggle and pick it up for $250. We met half way sunday morning to swap the trailer for a bunch of parts he wanted. Thanks again scott!

The trailer was pretty decent for the price. I had to put some cheap lights on but luckily the wiring was all good. I lifted each wheel and spun them and the bearings seemed smooth so a few pumps of grease and off i went.

I knew this was a gamble being an insurance auction, but pics showed a minty interior so that hooked me. I pulled in, signed the paperwork and they brought right out on a huge loader with 20' forks and sat it right on the trailer.

Initial inspection not so great. I think it's been sitting for about 4 years in the sun as the interior wasn't great. It's not horrible but about on par with what i've already got. I checked mpem with my programmer and got it to register then the batteries immediately died in the programmer. I then checked the engines and could hear water in them which was a bummer.

I strapped it down and headed home where i could dig into it more. At home tests confirmed water in both engines but after programming a new key they both spun over and had spark, so i knew i at least had my investment covered. The best part is its a newish mpem from 2008.

Pulled the big hub pumps and one is minty and the other ate a rock so has some vein chips but not horrible. Someone swapped an impeller though, so one correct swirl and one off of a ski it looks like.

Overall i got more than my money's worth but was hoping for at least 1 engine being a runner. I'll finish parting it this week and haul her to the dump. I don't even have to feel guilty as its hit something big at speed so the bottom of the hull is messed up. From the lines i think it sat in 2' of water for a bit, so some idiot probably hit a sand bar or something.

Hope to get this thing out of the way by the weekend and get back to working on the keeper.

not a problem at all! Thats for all the parts and lets face it im sure ill get a ride or two on this crazy thing

i bent the little spring wire to add more tension to get my own pylon to stay in the up position
Thanks I'll have to take a look it tonight. I got the helm and interior removed last night so will be draining fluids and starting to tear down the engine bay next. The dump is only open till noon on Saturday and I'll be in TX for work next week so love to have this thing out of my garage.

Found a great deal today at home depot to make carb rebuilds go more quickly.

I started hunting for a cordless ratchet wrench online because I hate all those damn air cleaner and carb bolts. I think I rebuilt 6 carbs last year and all those bolts are always the part I hate the worst.

So I settled on the Milwaukee 12v ratchet wrench after comparing a few and almost ordered for $150 with battery and charger. I ended up running over to home Depot to check them out first and found a great combo deal.

You buy the 12v drill, impact driver combo kit with 2 batteries and case and get to pick a free tool out of 15 or so. I grabbed the kit and the ratchet wrench so worked out perfectly.

So for $50 more than just the wrench alone I got a 2nd high capacity battery, case, drill and impact driver.

Best part is I just pulled both sets of air cleaners and carbs off the boat in less than 5 minutes. Pretty happy with that purchase and figured I'd share if anyone else is interested since it ends on the 31st.

220.jpg
221.jpg
222.jpg

What part of Florida will you be in. ? I live in Miami. And would love to get into hooking up my boat before I break it. Let me know if you'd like to meet up on a Sunday. IMG_6437.JPG

I painted the red stripe and logo with Plastidip about a month ago. Still holding good.

What part of Florida will you be in. ? I live in Miami. And would love to get into hooking up my boat before I break it. Let me know if you'd like to meet up on a Sunday. View attachment 38973

I painted the red stripe and logo with Plastidip about a month ago. Still holding good.
Already back from FL, I was in the clearwater area for a week. I saw u posted in the meetup thread so I usually take my programmer with me to those also. It only reads 2 strokes though (non merc).

Already back from FL, I was in the clearwater area for a week. I saw u posted in the meetup thread so I usually take my programmer with me to those also. It only reads 2 strokes though (non merc).

Yeah. All I know about my boat is its 2-4tec engines 155hp each. -310hp total. But I love this thing bro. I feeel like I'm neglecting her. I didn't rinse the engines my last 2 trips.

Over the weekend I got pretty much everything on the parts boat torn apart other than the ride plates. I'm going to try to get them off if possible since they are all plastic on these boats and I could see breaking one if you ever hit something in the water.

I will say parting a boat is much more time consuming and frustrating than a ski. Seadoo didn't use blind nuts on anything so every bolt has a lock nut that spins and you have to be a contortionist to get a wrench on both ends.

This little ebay fuel pump made getting the 20 gallons of old fuel out super easy.
288.jpg

I kept both helm pods as I like where they cut out the radio spot on this one better than mine. In this spot on the side the driver can still reach it. On.mine they cut a hole right where the passenger grab handle goes.
289.jpg

290.jpg

Here are the side supports. Location may help someone who wants to install speakers.
291.jpg

Here is most of the interior. Someone reupholsteted 2 seat bases and did a fantastic job. They are dirty but should clean up well.
292.jpg

The rest of the hull was parted and hauled to the dump last weekend. It was actually only $24 to get rid of which was nice.

I also sold the trailer I bought to get the parts boat for $325 tonight so that worked out well and made a few bucks. This weekend will be garage cleaning and organizing the buckets of spare parts. Work travel again for the next 2 weeks which will limit progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back