1998 Seadoo Speedster project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol yeah I'm always strapped for time. Trying to get this done for the 4th so we can have both boats out. Too many ppl to fit in one and noone is riding my skis!

My initial goal was May, so I'm way behind. There seems to be something hiding on every task though that kills progress.

Thanks for the kind words!

I got all the speakers in last night and LEDs wired. I need to find a good spot for an extra switch so I can control them separately from the floor lights though.

I ran out of time this morning so just hooked the speakers up to the head unit which isn't bad at 45 watts RMS but they really need the amp. I was just wanting some tunes for the lake test. I will say the front speakers are pointless where the P.O. cut them in. You really don't hear them at all, so I may need to fab up some new mounts directing them aft.
415.jpg

Launched the boat with only 5 gal of pre-mix 32:1 in the tank to as insurance until I was sure the oil pumps were working. I diluted it with 11 gallons of straight 93 15 min in.

Boat ran pretty well other than a few hesitations I'm chocking up to super rich oil mixture. I'll fill the tank next time to further dilute the pre-mix.

The lake was so rough with 20 mph winds and being overcrowded. I'm really starting to dislike the wake boats that stay in the smoothest sections all day throwing up 3' wakes.

I took a short video about an hour in when I did a few short pulls before loading up for the day. I'll try again this week when it's calmer. The vid makes it seem calm and uncrowded but I took it when I found some semi smooth water in a cove.
https://youtu.be/KhRV45GvDCQ

Pics. I did lose a freaking bottom cushion today within the first 10 min. I thought the gallon of oil would hold it down but apparently not. Someone had to pick it up or it just sank as I coudln't find it backtracking several times so im hoping it got turned in at the marina. Luckily I have 5 spares, but that was one of the really good ones.
416.jpg
417.jpg

Boat sounds good man. Is you steering hard at full throttle? Mine is but I'm pretty sure it's not the steering cable because it is nice and smooth at idle. Let me know if you find a fix for securing the seat cushions. My rear bottoms are a little lose but not sure how new Velcro would stick to the seat foam.

Boat sounds good man. Is you steering hard at full throttle? Mine is but I'm pretty sure it's not the steering cable because it is nice and smooth at idle. Let me know if you find a fix for securing the seat cushions. My rear bottoms are a little lose but not sure how new Velcro would stick to the seat foam.
Yes, steering can easily turn with my pinky finger out of the water but hard to turn when under way. These things almost need power steering lol.

The seat bottoms should be riveted to the seat base. I had my rivet gun in the boat ready to install but lost it right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
What 6 steps of compound went into polishing the hood back out? That looks great.
This was what I used after wet sanding. Probably overkill, especially since the heavy cut is probably similar to the 3M, but it works.

I used a harbor freight random orbit buffer/polisher (the porter cable type) Along with cutting discs and polishing discs.
423.jpg

Top notch man. You deserve congrats for this.

I'm buying a '98 speedster some time this week. In roughly the same condition as yours was initially. God it must have taken a lot of time to reach your goal. I think my wife would divorce me lol.

Mind if I ask how much you paid? and how much you are in it total? The one I'm picking up appears to have been cared for decently, only probs are faded deck, a couple tears in the seat and one engine is getting no fire. I am going to be paying $2400.

Wow, thanks for the kind words, it was definitely a lot of work! I had a lot of nights of an annoyed wife and many references to "that damned boat" lol.

I paid $2k for mine with one running engine and one another that didntt start at the time, but I did verify it had spark. Later I got it running but had slightly low conpression.

Ugh... total $ in is probably $5k if you exclude the tower I have yet to install as well as audio. But I went overboard as usual and everything in the deiveline is brand new or rebuilt. Both engines, both drives, both pumps, entire fuel and oil systems, etc etc.

Were looking at new deck boats now to replace our 29 year old ski boat, so tower and audio may go there and sell this next spring.

If one engine is not firing on the boat you are looking at I'd almost walk away. The MPEMs are known for this and a used one can fetch 1200-1600. I did see a guy on one of the Facebook groups who has successfully cut one open and fixed a no spark issue then resealed, but not sure if he ever shared exactly what he had to do and which circuit to bypass.

Wow, thanks for the kind words, it was definitely a lot of work! I had a lot of nights of an annoyed wife and many references to "that damned boat" lol.

I paid $2k for mine with one running engine and one another that didntt start at the time, but I did verify it had spark. Later I got it running but had slightly low conpression.

Ugh... total $ in is probably $5k if you exclude the tower I have yet to install as well as audio. But I went overboard as usual and everything in the deiveline is brand new or rebuilt. Both engines, both drives, both pumps, entire fuel and oil systems, etc etc.

Were looking at new deck boats now to replace our 29 year old ski boat, so tower and audio may go there and sell this next spring.

If one engine is not firing on the boat you are looking at I'd almost walk away. The MPEMs are known for this and a used one can fetch 1200-1600. I did see a guy on one of the Facebook groups who has successfully cut one open and fixed a no spark issue then resealed, but not sure if he ever shared exactly what he had to do and which circuit to bypass.
$5K isn't bad at all considering the end product.
And I've searched not only craigslist but FB within 8 hours of me and cannot find any other 99-04 speedster under 7K. And I have the itch lol I miss my '97. I have priced the MPEM at $1700 which means I would have $4100 in it. Which is high considering no water test. I agree. Maybe I can get him down a bit more.

I know what you mean, when I was looking I couldn't find any if them for sale near me that weren't way over priced. That's why I ended up driving clear to Nebraska to grab mine. I thought i paid a bit too much, but the ppl knew how far I drove an wouldn't budge.

I've still got my spare mpem from the parts boat I bought that I'll keep as long as I have the boat. I actually just missed one locally selling for $500 on a good trailer. Guy never called me back after multiple texts and emails, then 3 weeks later he finally replies that he just sold it the night before.

Haha, no thanks. I did happen to find the pic I saved off of Facebook from the guy that was able to fix his no spark issue in the mpem. I'm not sure which engine on his was not firing but this may help you.

It could be something as simple as a broken pickup coil though you never know. The 98s had the updated pickup so that's less likely.
6.jpg

^ Do you happen to know the guy that repaired this one? If my problem is the MPEM it would be nice to be able to have it fixed rather than replaced..

Haha yeah I saw your post earlier on there. That's quite a bit for a fix but I bet it's a nightmare to get them open to even begin to debug the problem.

Is that a 6’ or 8’ bimini top? And how tall is it?

Peter is the man . helped me tremendously . excellent value and customer service/communication. I installed myself(first time) and if you follow installation instructions and video it goes real smooth. mine are over a year old and still look new. the boat stayed in the water all summer and is stored outdoors in winter. give him your bow number and he will embed in graphics. I didnt use the whole kit mostly just the side graphics

bought like this View attachment 39556
to thisView attachment 39557View attachment 39559

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back