1998 seadoo gtx lmtd won't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

schulte

when i put my key on my gtx the dash info comes on but i don't get any beeps and when i hit the start button nothing happens at all , won't start or click . I checked the fuses and they are not blown.

Last edited:
Gonna have to check continuity of the start switch with a meter, check for voltage on the solenoid on the small plug ( 2 wires) when you press the start button and you could also bridge the solenoid with a screwdriver to see if will actually start with the lanyard on. I believe the solenoid is in the black box over the driveshaft in the rear. You'll have to remove the rear seat vent thing.

It also might not be recognizing the key. Do you get 2 quick beeps when you install the lanyard?

Gonna have to check continuity of the start switch with a meter, check for voltage on the solenoid on the small plug ( 2 wires) when you press the start button and you could also bridge the solenoid with a screwdriver to see if will actually start with the lanyard on. I believe the solenoid is in the black box over the driveshaft in the rear. You'll have to remove the rear seat vent thing.
when i put the key on, the gauges turn on but i don't get any beeps and when i attempt to start it, it does nothing at all

I would replace the beeper first so you will know if the mpem is reading the key.

you can test the start button easily.

REMOVE the key, and press the start button. Gauges should turn on and stay on for approx 30 seconds.

If they do not, the button does not work. (or you have other issues).

I agree, get the beeper working.

Did you check all fuses in the MPEM AND in the e-box? the ones in the box are what I suspect, that's where the starter relay is...

REMOVE the key, and press the start button. Gauges should turn on and stay on for approx 30 seconds.

Did you check all fuses in the MPEM AND in the e-box? the ones in the box are what I suspect, that's where the starter relay is...

Thanks for the help, the start button does work when pushed turning on the gauges. I will start by getting the beeper working, i have heard people buying the radio shack ones for $10 rather that the seed $50 ones is there much of a difference. All the fuses are good, would the gauges still turn on normally if the MPED was bad. i wouldn't be getting any beeps If the lanyard key needed programmed correct or would it still beep.

I would replace the beeper first so you will know if the mpem is reading the key.

Thanks for the help, the start button does work when pushed, turning on the gauges. I will start by getting the beeper working, i have heard people buying the radio shack ones for $10 rather that the seadoo $50 ones is there much of a difference. All the fuses are good, would the gauges still turn on normally if the MPED was bad? i wouldn't be getting any beeps If the lanyard key needed programmed correct or would it still beep.

I replaced the beeper finally and when i hit the start button 5 times it makes a short beep and then a long beep. I put the key on it does the 2 short beeps and then after 10 seconds it does one long beep but at no time does it make any attempt to start.

I replaced the beeper finally and when i hit the start button 5 times it makes a short beep and then a long beep. I put the key on it does the 2 short beeps and then after 10 seconds it does one long beep but at no time does it make any attempt to start.

So, after you get the 2 beeps have you pressed the start button? If all is correct it SHOULD attempt to start.

So, after you get the 2 beeps have you pressed the start button? If all is correct it SHOULD attempt to start.

It should start, but like i mentioned above it doesn't make any attempt to start when i hit the start button. Not sure what the long beep after 10 seconds means

Don't forget about the starter solenoid, could be the 12V coil that pulls in the contact plunger is disconnected or plunger inside is corroded so it won't move when the 12V solenoid coil is energized.

Are you sure it's the correct key? Usually the wrong key gives a long beep, I think...
Each key has a 6 or 8 digit hex code that the MPEM reads.

If it's the wrong key, it won't start, but I believe the gauges turn on.

The two quick beeps is it indicating that it recognizes the key. If you push the button and it gives you one long beep whenever you push the start then it has lost communication with the key and is typically the DESS Post.

I would suspect the starter solenoid if it is giving you two beeps but won't crank. Have you tired jumping the starter solenoid posts to make sure the starter and cables are good?

The two quick beeps is it indicating that it recognizes the key. If you push the button and it gives you one long beep whenever you push the start then it has lost communication with the key and is typically the DESS Post.

I would suspect the starter solenoid if it is giving you two beeps but won't crank. Have you tired jumping the starter solenoid posts to make sure the starter and cables are good?

I have tried to jump the solenoid with a screw driver and it did attempt to fire right away. The waverunner did sit with a dead battery for 2 years , wondering if the long beep means its not recognizing the key and i might need to have it programmed. when i put the key on it gives the 2 short beeps right away when i hit the start button it does nothing no beeps no starting but after 10 seconds it gives a long beep. Even if i put the key on and it gives the 2 beeps and i never hit the start button after 10 seconds it still gives the long beep.

Are you sure it's the correct key? Usually the wrong key gives a long beep, I think...
Each key has a 6 or 8 digit hex code that the MPEM reads.

If it's the wrong key, it won't start, but I believe the gauges turn on.

I have tried to jump the solenoid with a screw driver and it did attempt to fire right away. The waverunner did sit with a dead battery for 2 years , wondering if the long beep means its not recognizing the key and i might need to have it programmed. when i put the key on it gives the 2 short beeps right away when i hit the start button it does nothing no beeps no starting but after 10 seconds it gives a long beep. Even if i put the key on and it gives the 2 beeps and i never hit the start button after 10 seconds it still gives the long beep.

Don't forget about the starter solenoid, could be the 12V coil that pulls in the contact plunger is disconnected or plunger inside is corroded so it won't move when the 12V solenoid coil is energized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back