1998 Seadoo GTS Problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derwoody

Bought a 1998 Seadoo GTS recently in which owner said they thought that they might of got sand in the engine(which I didn't think was possible). Pulled plugs and everything looked good. Turned engine over by hand and everything seemed ok. Has good compression. Anyways they said that they also could not get it to roll over which I diagnosed that as to being a bad MPEM in which I replaced and added a new battery and plugs and fresh gas. Got it to fire up sitting on the trailer so I got it into the water and fired it up. Smoked pretty good while warming up(which I took as it just not being run in a while). after letting it warm up for a few minutes I jumped on and took off slowly for first few minutes until I got out of no wake zone and then opened it up some which it seemed to take off alright for about 100 yards and then dogged down to finally wanting to stall unless I kept the throttle about half. And with the throttle at half it was only at idle RPMS and speed in which I limped it back to the dock. Popped the seat off and it was smoking some(seemed to be exhaust) and had some water in the compartment(which I located where that was coming in) but nothing else stood out. Any ideas where to start looking into fixing this next problem I have after fixing the electrical part of the problem(MPEM). Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

You have an exhaust leak and the smoke replaced enough of the oxygen that the engine couldn't run. There should be no smoke at all in the engine compartment. Check all of the rubber hoses and couplers in the exhaust first then move on the the gaskets on the manifold and headpipe if the rubber parts are good.

Ok, will start there. Thanks. Another question for you all, I know this engine calls for NGK BR8ES plugs, I never cared for NGK in my snowmobile and ended up crossing over to other plugs for my sled. Has anyone ever had better running PWC engines with other plugs and if so and if they were suppose to be BR8ES, what exactly did you switch to?

When it finally stalled it would not restart, would the exhaust leak maybe fouled plugs out? I didn't get a chance to really check it out today after making it back to the dock and getting it back on the trailer. And it will be a few days before I can really work on it again due to work and thats why I am just looking for some starting points to jump right into when I finally have the time to do it. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back