1998 Sea Doo Sportster with a single 85 hp pulling an adult tuber

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperville1

Looking to buy a GREAT looking 1998 Sea Doo Sportster with a single 85 h.p. motor. My biggest concern is how will it perform pulling a Adult (say 200 LBS) on a tube a few times a year. I really do not want to buy a twin engine twice the maintenance. Any help would be appreciated!

You could always buy a twin engine boat, and just use the one motor. Then when the motor blows up, use the other motor. Another thing to consider is that there is not much maintenance if you take care of it properly. Use good gas and good oil. Change the spark plugs once in a while. Inspect a few things here and there and replace a few cheap parts as necessary. Use fuel treatment when in storage. Follow all the owners manual instructions. In my opinion, the boats with two engines are much more reliable. Image you are out in the ocean, and one motor stops working.... How many motors do you have left that still function, one or zero? Just some things to consider.

You could always buy a twin engine boat, and just use the one motor. Then when the motor blows up, use the other motor. Another thing to consider is that there is not much maintenance if you take care of it properly. Use good gas and good oil. Change the spark plugs once in a while. Inspect a few things here and there and replace a few cheap parts as necessary. Use fuel treatment when in storage. Follow all the owners manual instructions. In my opinion, the boats with two engines are much more reliable. Image you are out in the ocean, and one motor stops working.... How many motors do you have left that still function, one or zero? Just some things to consider.

You cant use one motor at a time in a twin engine boat unless you are returning to the dock/trailer to avoid being towed. As for pulling a tube it would probably do fine, people tube behind pontoon boats all the time, not very fun but they do it.

A single engine 155 in a boat with any load would be a struggle to get up on plane in a timely fashion, but it would do the job I think.

A single engine 155 in a boat with any load would be a struggle to get up on plane in a timely fashion, but it would do the job I think.

I agree! I got itfrom a friend 2yrs Ago. I was with him when he got it in 2008. all work was done at dealer in Durham, NC
We used it to take our sons out when they were smaller. It does OK with less than 500 lbs onboard.

I am just looking to get rid of it.

Twin engines aren't that expensive to maintain if you do the work yourself (which isn't hard). These are about as simple as they get, just a basic twin cylinder carbureted motor. You don't want to buy the single engine and regret it a year later wishing you bought a twin. Can't say I've ever heard anyone complain they bought a twin engine and wish they bought a single.

I have owned or operated well over 100 various vessels. One thing I have learned is, I will NEVER own anything larger than a jet ski that does not have twins.. At the very least, the peace of mind to be able to get yourself somewhere safe is priceless. The performance is about 18 percent better compared to a single engine. And, the engines last longer as they work easier to do the same job.

Twin engines aren't that expensive to maintain if you do the work yourself (which isn't hard). These are about as simple as they get, just a basic twin cylinder carbureted motor. You don't want to buy the single engine and regret it a year later wishing you bought a twin. Can't say I've ever heard anyone complain they bought a twin engine and wish they bought a single.

Guys gripe here and there about the wasted fuel, LOL it's a boat, it's a luxury. Smiles per gallon I say.

I have owned or operated well over 100 various vessels. One thing I have learned is, I will NEVER own anything larger than a jet ski that does not have twins.. At the very least, the peace of mind to be able to get yourself somewhere safe is priceless. The performance is about 18 percent better compared to a single engine. And, the engines last longer as they work easier to do the same job.

LOL 100% better in my book! God gave us almost 2 of everything, god must have created twin engine boats.

LOL 100% better in my book! God gave us almost 2 of everything, god must have created twin engine boats.

I do like your logic,,, We did extensive testing and the best percentage increase was 22 percent. But all were 18 or better. It is hard to believe what the extra 20 ish percent actually does..

To put this back on topic... (He asked about a tube, and not a debate on twins)

The Sportster with a single 720 engine WILL pull an adult on a tube. It will also pull up an adult on skis, or a fat wake board.

BUT..........

1) It has to be in good operating condition. (that's the key) If you have a pump that is questionable... or a leaking carbon seal... you won't go. There's a lot of guys here that say the single is useless... but it's not. They just get their opinion playing in a poor running boat, or just make up an opinion based on no real personal experience.

2) DO NOT EXPECT TO HAVE A HIGH PERFOMANCE RIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes... you can pull a small single tube, and get it to whip with a +200 lb adult on it. BUT, you won't have much fun pulling a big (2/3 passenger) tube. It's just too much drag. Also... of you have someone on a ski or wake board... they WILL pull the boat when they cut. (regardless of single or twin) Along with that... if you have 3 large adults in the boat, with a large adult on the tube... it will be slow.

The big issue here is drag. The 14.5' boats are only rated for 649 lbs. SO... if you have a 250lb passenger on the tube... then the other 3 people in the boat can only weigh 100 lbs each. More than that... and you are over loaded !! This is regardless of a twin or single. Oh... and you have to subtract from what the people weigh, if you decided to bring a cooler, tools, or anything else. Lets face it... 2 adults, and a small kid can put it over weight.

Anyway... the point to take here is... it's a little boat, and you have to treat it as such. But, since it is small... it's easy to deal with... and the expenses are less. I agree 100% with the guys above about fuel. It's a boat, and you have to feed it. But, I don't agree with the "2 engines don't cost more"... because they do. I've never seen one of these boats that when something goes wrong with one side, that the other side isn't far away.

I had one of the singles for several years... and it was great. So, I speak from experience when I say... it will do everything you want it to. BUT... if you want to have a 50 mph, high adrenaline tube ride... then you need A LOT more HP. If you want to have fun and get wet... then it will do just fine.

80.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back