1998 gtx speed sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddanster

I have a speed indicator not working and I followed the recommendations in the manual regarding testing of the sensor. Its supposed to fluctuate between 5.5 and 8.5 volts when turning slowly. I get about 8.6 to 8.4 when turning the wheel...and that is all the fluctuations I get. Bad sensor then?

Yes, bad sensor. It should be around 8.5V when one the 4 paddle wheel lobes with the magnets in them are lined up with the housing and 5.5V when they're in the air gap, so every 1/8 turn it should alternate. They fail all the time and typically only last 4-5 years when new so don't buy used unless you're a gambling man.

Yes, bad sensor. It should be around 8.5V when one the 4 paddle wheel lobes with the magnets in them are lined up with the housing and 5.5V when they're in the air gap, so every 1/8 turn it should alternate. They fail all the time and typically only last 4-5 years when new so don't buy used unless you're a gambling man.

Thanks..ya I will probably go a the new part route. Knowing the exact speed i guess is really no biggie but like others have said on here...hate to have something that doesn't work on my ski.

They definately go out regularly...but dont count out a used one. I test all mine before they ship and guarantee them a full summer. $50 shipped...new one is over $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back