1998 gtx limited start button unresponsive (nothing at all)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Velaant

Hey everyone new to this forum. I just got a 1998 Seadoo gtx limited for free. I hooked a good battery up to it and I get two beeps when putting the key on. I press the start button and get nothing no click or anything. I can just start it from the relay but still won’t start. I checked resistance on dead post, key, and start button all good. I pulled the plugs and I get spark on both plugs I sprayed started fluid inside carburetor and still wouldn’t start. I have checked all the grounds and I’m good to go there. I’m thinking the mpem is bad but I wanted to test it before I got a new one. How would I set it? Any suggestions?

check your compression. Should be 150/150. or close to it. if you are getting spark and fuel(starter fluid) it should fire. Check your fuses if it will not crank when you push the start button. I know you said you checked the grounds, but go over them with sand paper. a little corrosion can easily break the connection. In addition, check the connections to the mpem.....they are known to corrode as well, especially in salt water machines. There are electrical sprays that can help clean the pins. you can also check to see if you have power to the switch wires(small thin ones) on the solenoid when you press the start button. If yes, bad solenoid.

Hey everyone new to this forum. I just got a 1998 Seadoo gtx limited for free. I hooked a good battery up to it and I get two beeps when putting the key on. I press the start button and get nothing no click or anything. I can just start it from the relay but still won’t start. I checked resistance on dead post, key, and start button all good. I pulled the plugs and I get spark on both plugs I sprayed started fluid inside carburetor and still wouldn’t start. I have checked all the grounds and I’m good to go there. I’m thinking the mpem is bad but I wanted to test it before I got a new one. How would I set it? Any suggestions?
Rusty Nail has given you good advice. Likely you only have a bad starter solenoid. Here is why: You get 2 beeps. Do you get gauges? With the key off, press the start button once. Do the gauges come on for 33 seconds? If so, that means that the Microcontroller is waking up and processing time correctly.

The circuit for the starter solenoid is rarely the issue. As suggested, unplug the small connector from the starter solenoid, probe both terminals with multimeter leads, install key(2 beeps), and hold starter button. As long as the button is held, you should get battery voltage at the starter solenoid connector.

Rusty Nail has given you good advice. Likely you only have a bad starter solenoid. Here is why: You get 2 beeps. Do you get gauges? With the key off, press the start button once. Do the gauges come on for 33 seconds? If so, that means that the Microcontroller is waking up and processing time correctly.

The circuit for the starter solenoid is rarely the issue. As suggested, unplug the small connector from the starter solenoid, probe both terminals with multimeter leads, install key(2 beeps), and hold starter button. As long as the button is held, you should get battery voltage at the starter solenoid connector.
I will try that today. I put a brand new starter relay from my 97 Gti maybe they aren’t compatible….

check your compression. Should be 150/150. or close to it. if you are getting spark and fuel(starter fluid) it should fire. Check your fuses if it will not crank when you push the start button. I know you said you checked the grounds, but go over them with sand paper. a little corrosion can easily break the connection. In addition, check the connections to the mpem.....they are known to corrode as well, especially in salt water machines. There are electrical sprays that can help clean the pins. you can also check to see if you have power to the switch wires(small thin ones) on the solenoid when you press the start button. If yes, bad solenoid.
Checked all the fuses they are all good I even swapped some of them out. I’m getting power on all the fuses on the mpem. That’s why I’m thinking it’s the whole box. There is no corrosion on the box at all looks super clean. Cleaned all the grounds already as well. If I touch one side of the relay I get power (from the battery) but when I touch the other side and hit the start button nothing.

How would I test the box? Is that even possible or do I have to just buy a new one and cross my fingers?

Attachments

• AC9456C1-4D61-4737-A4EC-F35FA85005D2.jpeg
    AC9456C1-4D61-4737-A4EC-F35FA85005D2.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 31
  • 9EE7A107-0878-4D39-91AB-37E01123536E.jpeg
    9EE7A107-0878-4D39-91AB-37E01123536E.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 30
This is the schematic diagram for your ski. If you open up the rear electrical box where your starter solenoid is, there should be a black wire exiting the starter solenoid connector and joining a few other black wires on the ignition coil mount bolt. These connections inside the blue circle MUST be clean and free of corrosion. If you do a continuity check with a multimeter, measuring between the bolt in the blue circle and the Negative battery terminal, there should be less than 1 OHM. The Yellow/Red is switched on when the engine is off, key on(2 beeps), and start button held. Measuring between the Yellow/Red and black wires WHILE depressing Start as described in the last sentence should result in slightly less than battery voltage.

For troubleshooting purposes, remove all but the 5A fuses from the MPEM. The 15A is for the charging system.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230318_110915.jpg
    Screenshot_20230318_110915.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 33
To test the solenoid you should be checking the small thin wires to see if there is 12v when the start button is pushed . Not the heavy wires that go to the starter and battery. If you have power on the small wires when the start button is pushed you have a bad solenoid.

To test the solenoid you should be checking the small thin wires to see if there is 12v when the start button is pushed . Not the heavy wires that go to the starter and battery. If you have power on the small wires when the start button is pushed you have a bad solenoid.
If the mpem was bad would I even be getting spark?

If the mpem was bad would I even be getting spark?
Different parts of the MPEM can fail without affecting others. For example, the internal voltage regulator can fail without harming other components. The microcontroller, which controls everything, can be completely fine but the semiconductors that do the "heavy lifting" can go bad.

So in theory, if you get two beeps with the key installed and then immediately jump the starter solenoid, you will get spark or the engine will start if the plugs are installed.

So, if I read everything right. You can get it to turn over but, even though you have spark and have put gas in the carbs, it wont fire up? Did you check compression yet? New engines are around 150..but I have heard you can go down to around 120 maybe slightly lower before it becomes a problem .....that number is debatable for sure. If you have good compression, spark and fuel, then I would check your spark to make sure it is strong. Also, did you load test the battery?
As for the start switch, check the wires in the rear electrical box going to the starter solenoid, I would take them all off and inspect/clean and reinstall. Someone already said how to check switch itself. You can also inspect your coil while you are there.

So, if I read everything right. You can get it to turn over but, even though you have spark and have put gas in the carbs, it wont fire up? Did you check compression yet? New engines are around 150..but I have heard you can go down to around 120 maybe slightly lower before it becomes a problem .....that number is debatable for sure. If you have good compression, spark and fuel, then I would check your spark to make sure it is strong. Also, did you load test the battery?
As for the start switch, check the wires in the rear electrical box going to the starter solenoid, I would take them all off and inspect/clean and reinstall. Someone already said how to check switch itself. You can also inspect your coil while you are there.
Here’s a pic of the rear electrical box. The ignition coil was mounted outside of the box by the previous owner I’m guessing. The BLUE BLACK AND BLACK were all connected on a bolt not grounded to anything (not sure if that’s a ground or not) the BLUE wire is going straight to the positive terminal…. (But if that’s supposed to be a ground then it’s wired wrong…) maybe the blue wire should be grounded too.

Also check compression 130 on both

Here’s a pic of the rear electrical box. The ignition coil was mounted outside of the box by the previous owner I’m guessing. The BLUE BLACK AND BLACK were all connected on a bolt not grounded to anything (not sure if that’s a ground or not) the BLUE wire is going straight to the positive terminal…. (But if that’s supposed to be a ground then it’s wired wrong…) maybe the blue wire should be grounded too.

Also check compression 130 on both
Update I figured out that the original owner had the grounds connected wrong. Re wired it and it started right up. I appreciate all the help will definitely be more active on this website from now on.

HELLO ! I 2008 limited gtx when I hit the start button nothing happens no dash light up , no click nothing . new battery( and test well )if i cross post on solenoid it turns over and has spark there is voltage to fuses (except the one on the bottom 5 amp) .my thoughts are mpm failure ? thank you !

Back