RESTO 1997 SPX Build

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgoodwin10

After a test ride I now have a to-do list and questions I need some help with, so here goes.

During my daily Craigslist searching I ran across a 97 SPX for $650, which didn't stand out too much until the next picture on the ad revealed this:
106.jpg

Needless to say, I had to have it given the goodies on it. Come to find out the guy was super cool and was a former racer that had plans to build a modded rec boat but had lost interest in this project. Aside from what you can see it had an original motor, rebuilt carbs, all gaskets to reassemble, ProKs, rebuilt pump, 96 XP Ebox, cart, trailer, spare XP hull and another single gauge hood .

107.jpg

After giving it a good once over, I reassembled everything and took it to the lake today.

The only issue I had was a leaky exhaust gasket which I patched with electrical tape and a coke bottle to get by for the afternoon. Because Roadkill (if anyone gets that reference)

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

Overall it ran really well, save for a stupid high idle speed that needs to be fixed. The only 'odd' noise it made was a slight chatter after I let off the throttle, which I think could be a result of the high idle speed. Is that something I need to be more worried about?

I do plan to put an impeller, grate, sponsons and mats on it, as well as swap the fuel/oil gauge for a XP info center and add a grommet to the UMI base.

I'd also like to add a tach as well- does the MPEM even support that to use a factor piece or will I have to go aftermarket there?

Last edited by a moderator:
One of mine had a chatter and it was the hood stud where the latch closes that vibrated loudly at certain rpm.

You can add a tach to any ski, I just connected my Koso gauge to one of the yellow stator wires in the mpem box. I think it's recommended to put a resistor inline with a stock gauge but can't recall what resistance.

One of mine had a chatter and it was the hood stud where the latch closes that vibrated loudly at certain rpm.

You can add a tach to any ski, I just connected my Koso gauge to one of the yellow stator wires in the mpem box. I think it's recommended to put a resistor inline with a stock gauge but can't recall what resistance.

I really like your Koso gauge setup. If nothing else it looks awesome! LOL

I actually ended up putting a tiny tach on mine since I had to watch Temps at all times. I couldn't keep switching rpm to EGT on the Koso. The tiny tach will also keep track of hours.

what does the coke bottle cap do? and I cant believe electrical tape held water.. no leak at all?

what does the coke bottle cap do? and I cant believe electrical tape held water.. no leak at all?

I was surprised as well. It was a minor leak, which may be part of the reason it held. The coke bottle was to keep water from dripping into the carbs in case my tape failed. Preventative measures.

Nice ski thats for sure. Whats under the seat? I think im about to start another build thread...

The first hump seat I'd ever seen in person was when I met Akeneyou to hand off his HX. I was sold after sitting on it. I'd considered 1of500s UMI housing...until I found out [MENTION=60330]AdamXP800[/MENTION] was selling a hump seat, so I caved and am working out the details with him now. The tightwad in me wanted to get a Blacktip cover, but with UMIs and a single gauge this ski deserves a Jet Trim cover so that's what it'll get. I do plan to order some BT Elite mats for Black Friday though. I'm still deciding on the design and colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not real happy with my BT elite mats unfortunately. One season of use and the yellow is very faded. I've also lost a few of the little diamonds of the top layer. They glue a base color over a top color then cut the designs and it's coming apart in places. I probably had my ski out in the sun for 2 weeks this year. I have had good luck with their non-elite mats that are one piece.

I had the black marble mats on a GTI for 5 years with no issues. I'd say to steer clear of the diamond plate design though as the material is different than the rest and it's hard as a rock.

I'm going to put hydro turf on my next ski and save BT for the flip skis.

Don't forget that Jettrim will make you a set of mats. They are not that expensive and will match your seat cover.

Don't forget that Jettrim will make you a set of mats. They are not that expensive and will match your seat cover.

I actually had no idea that was a thing.

I've decided against the BT mats after talking to Lee more. His haven't held up well at all.

Well like I said I'm happy with the BT standard mats. As long as it's not the diamond tread they are almost as soft as HT and have held up really well. Just too bad the elite ones aren't as good.

Well like I said I'm happy with the BT standard mats. As long as it's not the diamond tread they are almost as soft as HT and have held up really well. Just too bad the elite ones aren't as good.
I don't like the seam in the footwell

I'm looking at getting a Jet Trim cover for the hump seat and wanted to get opinions on materials. I don't ride in super long board shorts and I'ver heard the medium slip can irritate your skin after a while. What other materials would you recommend (or caution against)? The yellow carbon fiber and regular black vinyl has vote right now, unless y'all talk me into something different.

I'm looking at getting a Jet Trim cover for the hump seat and wanted to get opinions on materials. I don't ride in super long board shorts and I'ver heard the medium slip can irritate your skin after a while. What other materials would you recommend (or caution against)? The yellow carbon fiber and regular black vinyl has vote right now, unless y'all talk me into something different.
Yellow diamond is nice
7.jpg

Also, I really like the contrasting thread color. They were supposed to use yellow thread on my black sections but left it off. I was in a hurry or else I would have sent back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back